HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:28 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid HCH I 2003-2005

Since a few people were interested in how to change their own CVT fluid I took some pictures when I changed mine. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do it. In fact, it's VERY easy. I hope this thread is helpful.

Disclaimer: This may not be the perfect way to do it, but it's worked for my car and I've had no problems...yet. Knock on wood. Feel free to chime in if I missed something, I'm sure someone will anyway.

STEP 1: Go to your dealer and buy 4 quarts of HONDA brand fluid AND drain plug crush washer.

STEP 2: Locate the FILL PLUG behind the air filter box. Get a 17mm shallow socket, 24inch extension, and a wratchet. Make sure can loosen the fill plug BEFORE you drain all the fluid out of the car. It will be on there very tight, I've had to use an additional breaker bar on the end of the wratchet (pipe over the end of the wratchet or a big wrench).

STEP 3: Remove the splash shield under the engine. Be careful with the fasteners. If you've never removed them before you might want to buy a few extras to have just in case you ruin one or two. Taking them out is an aquired art, you'll get used to it though.

STEP 4: Use a 3/8 drive wratchet to remove the drain plug (make sure you loosened the fill plug first, no turning back after this)

STEP 5: Clean all the gook off the drain plug magnet. Replace the crush washer with the new one you bought - make sure the flat side will face the transmission.

STEP 6: Replace the drain plug in the hole tightly once all the old fluid is out then reverse Steps 4 through 2.

STEP 7: Add 3.4 quarts of transmission fluid in the fill hole (make sure you are precise). Replace fill plug tightly. Run the engine cycling through the gears and make sure the fluid level is fine (it should be).

Last edited by rigger; 01-15-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!
Default Re: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Great information...But with the first picture, I thought you were going to say, Go to your dealer and tell them to change the CVT fluid.

I don't know why the heck the AT filler bolt is so darn tight. Funny thing is that the spec for torquing it down is not that high. On my '99 Ody, I made the mistake of draining before removing the filler, never considering that I wouldn't be able to remove it...I was almost ready to have the van towed as the fluid had drained, but no way to refill. I finally found a neighbor with a breaker bar socket and was able to get it off. You are VERY wise to warn people of this important issue. Thanks for the information...

Old 11-02-2005, 07:40 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I probably didn't emphasize enough just how tight that plug is on there. I was quite surprised that this time it was on there so tight too, I've changed the fluid before on this car.

To be completely honest, I drained the fluid before I pulled the fill plug thinking it would come off easy this time around. I was wrong. Still it was nothing like the first time I pulled it out. I honestly had a HUGE (pipe slide over the wratchet) breaker bar and had to make sure I used all 1/2 inch wratchet, extension and socket. I was really sweating it as I fiddled with it for a good 25 minutes. This time it only took maybe 3 or 4 minutes.

Time for the whole fluid change was 50 minutes, that includes picture taking time and me being meticulously clean about everything I did. That also includes clean up after the change including draining the drain pan into the recycle drum.

Originally Posted by mochisushi
Great information...But with the first picture, I thought you were going to say, Go to your dealer and tell them to change the CVT fluid.

I don't know why the heck the AT filler bolt is so darn tight. Funny thing is that the spec for torquing it down is not that high. On my '99 Ody, I made the mistake of draining before removing the filler, never considering that I wouldn't be able to remove it...I was almost ready to have the van towed as the fluid had drained, but no way to refill. I finally found a neighbor with a breaker bar socket and was able to get it off. You are VERY wise to warn people of this important issue. Thanks for the information...

Old 11-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast

THANKS for the great post

Old 11-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Excellent post and great photos. I wasn't aware there is an ATF fill hole. I assumed you would fill it through the dipstick hole.

Last edited by Wangofree; 11-03-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:37 AM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid HCH I

UPDATE!!
Honda now has CVT only fluid! "Supposed" to be better than the old ATF-Z1 stuff.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

hey everyone,

i'm new to greenhybrid.com, but am pleased to find some people out there interested in doing their own maintenance! i'm coming up on 30,000 miles, and have read about the importance of changing fluid in the CVT at the recommended intervals. this is a great thread, but i was wondering if someone could post the torque specs for the fill & drain plugs (i'm holding out for a good deal on the service manuals on eBay . . .).

thanks for your help,
chad

Old 12-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Where to take the ATF fluid after we've drained it? Most gas stations have oil barrels, but not transmission fluid

Old 12-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Don't they just go together? Can't you put you used oil and used transmission fluid together?

Old 12-22-2006, 11:50 AM
"Manalo"

you can mix transmission fluid and oil together and bring it to any recycling center (Auto Zone, Kragen, etc...)

I've done it before and the associates are fine with that. Just as long there is no coolant mixed into the oil. A big no-no!!!

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands