Plug in for Camry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Lexus fan
Default Plug in for Camry?

Will there be a plug in upgrade to the Camry like there is to the Prius? They use the same hybrid synergy drive, so I am guessing they would be able to do it for the Camry too.

Any info on this? I am thinking of buying a TCH.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Plug in for Camry?

I own a TCH and I am very curious to find out about this. I would be very much interested as my daily commute is anywhere from 40 miles and up on week days.

Also, is there a way to increase the threshold speed for EV mode only from 40 (ok I know it is 42) mph to say 60 mph??????

Someone please help

Old 01-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast
Wink Re: Plug in for Camry?

Hi

There is a Canadian company called Hymotion which claims to have built a plug in for Hybrid cars. (http://www.hymotion.com/). I find the website of the company very confusing.

They claim that the product is still not available directly to consumers and they are in testing mode with the government and regulators.

They claim that it will work with all the Toyota hybrid vehicles. However, they are state as part of their FAQs that the Toyota warranty will be voided if you install their equipment, which is no good.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Dazed and Confused

There are a number of hurdles to be overcome to get a plug-in.

Battery placement and type. You do want to go farther than 2 miles on battery alone right? Current battery is too small for such a drive. Also enough NiHD battery would eat almost all the trunk, but LiIon or such would reduce the size considerable.

Transmission lubrication. If you do go further than 2 miles, the transmission needs an external source of pumping fluid to keep the gears lubricated.

SOC issues. To keep the battery level low when you are returning home, you have to fool the stock computers into not recharging the batteries by use of the ICE.

Hymotion does have kits for the Prius, but they are very expensive. So far all their efforts have been focused on the Prius since that is where the big market will be first. I imagine the Camry should not be that much different, but there is enough difference to make it less enticing to go after that market before they are fully sucessfull with the prius and HiHy.

I predict there will be a plug-in Camry one day, just not tomorrow.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
There are a number of hurdles to be overcome to get a plug-in.

Battery placement and type. You do want to go farther than 2 miles on battery alone right? Current battery is too small for such a drive. Also enough NiHD battery would eat almost all the trunk, but LiIon or such would reduce the size considerable.

Transmission lubrication. If you do go further than 2 miles, the transmission needs an external source of pumping fluid to keep the gears lubricated.

SOC issues. To keep the battery level low when you are returning home, you have to fool the stock computers into not recharging the batteries by use of the ICE.

Hymotion does have kits for the Prius, but they are very expensive. So far all their efforts have been focused on the Prius since that is where the big market will be first. I imagine the Camry should not be that much different, but there is enough difference to make it less enticing to go after that market before they are fully sucessfull with the prius and HiHy.

I predict there will be a plug-in Camry one day, just not tomorrow.
Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. I agree that a plug-in conversion will not be available in the near future. I will be happy if I come across a squeek-free center console and rattle-free sunglass area TCH.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast

I'm not sure what good a plug-in would do, given the battery capacity. Even a fully charged battery (wouldn't charge over 80% anyway) and some sort of bypass to retard engagement of ICE (right down to 30% remaining battery juice), the car would be hobbled by distance and speed, unless you drastically increase the battery capacity and type. Additionally, power rating and kWh don't make for a very usable vehicle (though I forget the exact ratings). You do add the plug, upgrade the battery, and maybe upgrade the motor, but at the end, you would be trying to do an automaker's prototype program without an automaker's prototype budget.

I don't think HSD system will make a good plug-in system precisely because it was not designed as a plug-in system. You really need a plug-in system designed from ground-up, like Chevy's Volts. Oh, and some battery breakthrough.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by juicius
I'm not sure what good a plug-in would do, given the battery capacity. Even a fully charged battery (wouldn't charge over 80% anyway) and some sort of bypass to retard engagement of ICE (right down to 30% remaining battery juice), the car would be hobbled by distance and speed, unless you drastically increase the battery capacity and type. Additionally, power rating and kWh don't make for a very usable vehicle (though I forget the exact ratings). You do add the plug, upgrade the battery, and maybe upgrade the motor, but at the end, you would be trying to do an automaker's prototype program without an automaker's prototype budget.

I don't think HSD system will make a good plug-in system precisely because it was not designed as a plug-in system. You really need a plug-in system designed from ground-up, like Chevy's Volts. Oh, and some battery breakthrough.
hence, my comment:

And I do feel there would be a benifit to a bigger battery that could be charged. Even if the engine still runs, you could reduce the amount it needs to run and how much it contributes IF you have more usable battery capacity that can be used without the engine recharging it.