HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Hissing sound on braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Hissing sound on braking

Recently I've noticed that sometimes when I press the brake pedal ... i hear a short hiss sound. Its very reproducible when the key is in ignition but the car is off.

But I have also heard it at times when the car is moving along slowly and i hit the brake.

Anyone else also hear this? Is this normal?

Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Hissing sound on braking

That almost "feels" like the master cyclinder adjusting the hydraulic pressure - which would be a normal occurrence when you step on the brake pedal. However, I never really heard that system noise before - especially from the inside the cabin whether stopped or not.
It should remain inaudible for most people. Then again, maybe you have super sensitive hearing or then the increased sound is a reflection of something trully unsual in your vehicle.
I would suggest that if you notice a degradation in braking performance and/or accompanied by an "increase" in the noises you mentioned, to just take it in for a once-over.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't normally hear it during regular driving so I'm not sure if it happens then and I just don't hear it over the ambient noise. But its definitely noticeable if I press the brake pedal when everything is quiet and the car is off.

I foresee a visit to the dealer in the near future

Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Energy Independence

This is the infamous "brake farting" issue. It's been discussed on this forum before - several threads. I have this issue, too, but have basically ignored it. I believe it IS air escaping some mechanism to allow our brakes to have the familiar feel. I've not experienced any braking deficiencies, just the embarrasing noises

Old 05-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am also getting the getting the 'honk' noise on braking. I searched for brake fart and it seems that I shouldn't be too worried about it.

This is my first post, we just bought our HCH in March 2007, we currently have ~ 5000 km on it.

Quick question - How are you guys getting the MPG sig's on the bottom of your posts from the Hybrid database? - (Used search to answer my own question )

Last edited by Ontario07Civic; 05-26-2007 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Sig Fix
Old 05-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ontario07Civic
Quick question - How are you guys getting the MPG sig's on the bottom of your posts from the Hybrid database? - (Used search to answer my own question )

Sorry for the thread hijack, but just real quickly, I'm not as gifted w/ the search function, I guess. How *do* you set the MPG sig?
--d

Old 05-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here's the info,

1. Click on user cp at the top of the forums here.
2. Click edit signature
3. Click on the insert image icon that appears above the area where you type your sig
type in the dialog box :
https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/5193/signature.png"
4. Replace 5193 with your car id in the database.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Thanks!
-d