just had a windshield replaced - a few thoughts

Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default just had a windshield replaced - a few thoughts

I just my windshield replaced. My TCH was made in Japan and the note on the windshield said:
Toyota Lamisafe
LP ASAHI MEK 4 ASI DOT 20 U

My new windshield says :

TOYOTA
LAMISAFE
M834 AS1
DOT-376

I got this particular replacement windshield after the Glass Doctor contacted Toyota with my VIN number and they said that this was the only windshield that their system pulled up per my car.

In another thread, I saw that someone said that their TCH was made in Kentucky and their original windshield had exactly the same note as my replacement one.

So, here is my little theory:

The correct Toyota replacement windshields for TCH now are the same as for TCH made in Kentucky - thus the difference in the notes. To test this, I am going to ask these questions and hope that some of you can answer it:

1) If your TCH was made in Kentucky and you still have original windshield, what does the note on it (bottom left corner) say?

2) If you had your windshield replaced with "Toyota Lamisafe", did the note on the replacement one say, Toyota Lamisafe LP Asahi Mek 4 ASI DOT 20 U ?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver
Default Re: just had a windshield replaced - a few thoughts

Originally Posted by peter
2) If you had your windshield replaced with "Toyota Lamisafe", did the note on the replacement one say, Toyota Lamisafe LP Asahi Mek 4 ASI DOT 20 U ?
Had mine replaced about two months ago (Japanese TCH one year old) and mine says: "Toyota Lamisafe LP Asahi Mek 4 ASI DOT 20 U".

I have a good honest glass guy and he ordered original glass. Only one part number came up for the Hybrid (I was there when he ordered it on the phone).

Old 07-07-2007, 04:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine is made in Kentucky, says:
TOYOTA LAMISAFE M834 AS1 DOT-376

Old 07-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I still have the original windshield (my 2007 TCH was made in Japan and purchased it on 9/06) and states:

TOYOTA LAMISAFE LP
ASAHI M8K4 AS1
DOT - 20
U

As an FYI, it is AS1 and not ASI (it is 1 and not I).

Last edited by agnosto; 07-10-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I also have a unit built in japan and my glass says

TOYOTA LAMISAFE LP
ASAHI MEK4 AS1
DOT - 20

purchased last july

Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

How can you tell if your car was made in Kentucky or Japan?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If the very first letter of your V.I.N. is a J your vehicle was built in Japan. Any other character (example: 4 or 2) would be USA built.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Reall easy - look at your VIN number if the first character is a "J" - your car was bilt in Japan otherwise Kentucky

Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 AM
SPL

I just checked the (still original) windshield on my Japanese-made TCH. It says:

Toyota
Lamisafe
LP Asahi
M8K4 AS1
DOT 20
U

I believe that all the previous postings with "M3K4" or "MEK4" are in error. That's an '8' not a '3' or an 'E'.

Stan

Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 AM

I found a reference (I don't know how authoritative it is - take it with a grain of salt) that explains the codes on the windshields: http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings.htm
According to this, the DOT 20 windshields are made in Japan by ASAHI Glass Co. Ltd. and the ones with DOT 376 are made in the USA by AP Technoglass Corp.
The M number is simply the model number of the windshield and is unique only within the manufacturer. It does identify the type of construction, but you would need to have the individual manufacturers documentation to identify what's what.
The AS number identifies the optical quality of the glass. AS1 is the clearest.
My windshield also shows the manufactures logo (AP) which is consistent with the DOT number, and the brand name of the glass, "Lamisafe".

So, my guess would be that Camrys made in the USA will likely all be DOT376, and all the Camry Hybrids made there would have the same M834 number. All those made in Japan would likely be DOT20, with Hybrids showing M8K4 (nothwithstanding possible E or 3 instead of the 8 - I haven;t seen one myself). I do find the similarity in the M number between the Japanese-made and the USA-made intriguing.

Replacement windshields having a DOT20 or DOT376 number would be expected to also match on the M number. However, it is possible for replacements to have a different DOT number and still be equivalent glass - there's no reason that different manufacturers can't make windshields to the same specification. In those case, the M number would almost certainly be different. Just more food for thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just had a windshield replaced - a few thoughts

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands