HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Timing Belt - Civic Hybrid

Old 07-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Timing Belt - Civic Hybrid

Has anyone changed there timing belt on the 2003-2005 civic hybrid. I was curious on what the maintenance interval was to do this.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Timing Belt - Civic Hybrid

I just found my answer on another timing belt thread!

Old 07-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

So what did you find?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

Well what I found was that it isn't a timing belt.. its more like a timing chain. According to this other tread most owners have done their maintenance on the timing chain when they reach 100,000. I still have a ways to go.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=13095

Old 03-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast

I am planning to buy a car with 93,000 miles on it, so does that mean when it reaches 100,000 I will be the one who has to replace the timing chain as a matter of precaution? Or would it have been done at the 90,000 mile dealer recommended maintenance? I will ask the seller but I thought you might know.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

There is no maintenance on a timing chain system, most will last the life of the engine. There is a valve adjustment called for at 110K, more of a check than a adjustment.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks! I called the dealership here but you told me more than they did. They did say the batteries almost never go out and are supposed to be good for 10 years. Any experience with hybrid INA batteries?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

In general the "battery failures" are very over blown, though people in this forum can comment on the specific Honda batteries. Battery life is very dependent on the software and how fast they are allowed to discharge and recharge.(fast being bad)

Old 03-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

About my '04 CVT which has almost 120,000 miles:

Starts/runs/drives as day one off the lot.

Although I drive it extremely light footed and purposely keep off battery usage when ever possible, I've never had a battery recalibration. IMA functions as new.

CVT gets fluid change about every 20-30K to eliminate mild acceleration jerking.

Tire rotation schedule is 15kmiles, alignment every 20k. My original Dunlops were changed at 88,000 miles, as the wear reached the bar. Pressure was 50lbs for the life of the tire and wore evenly. Replaced with new Dunlop LRR.

Original brake pads have "Plenty of life left" according to dealer.

Oil change every 7-10K miles. Can not detect if oil level decreases after 10K miles: It just never drops and is still gold color.

Waxed 2x a year with Memuars Gold paste wax, and touched up with same brand detailer spray. Washed about 2x per month. Still appears almost as new except a few "Sand" front end chips.

Interior seats, carpet etc have held up well, except a couple rattles. (Dashboard, front passenger door)

No problems what so ever with this car, hands down the most fun, most efficient vehicle I've ever owned.

I learned hypermiling in this car. Taken to extreme under optimum conditions I did 1,004 miles (75MPG) for apersonal tank record.
Less extreme, but still driving efficiently I am getting about 59MPG this spring (About 800 miles to a tank) and expect to get low 60's summer with moderate use of AC.
I commute almost 100 miles a day to/from work.

Complaints:
I'm 6'2" tall, 240lbs. A big guy in a small car. My Right leg gets fatigued after driving hours and hours

Rattles

Electric windows don't work unless key is in "run" position.

I hate the standard "Beep beep" horn. I replaced it with a pair of air horns. Much better now.

That's about it.

Cheers- Steve

Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Think green.

Steve, I hope I have the same long-term good luck with my car that you've had with yours.
When you get the car's alignment done, do you have the dealership do the job, or is it something that any good "regular" tire shop can do? With the regenerative brakes & all, I am wondering if alignments are better taken care of at the dealership, or if that doesn't come into play.

I've got to look for that wax and detailer spray you mentioned. My dealer gave me some touchup paint, but I don't like how it comes out. Too noticeable.

And the OEM horn is wimpy, I agree.
The car is the most fun one I've owned. The only other one that came close was my Toyota Celica back in the 70's.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 03-30-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Belt - Civic Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands