Paint Protection - Xzilon

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Paint Protection - Xzilon

While shopping for a TCH yesterday the dealer showed me an impressive video of a product called Xzilon.
In the demo they sprayed paint on a treated car (hood and windshield) and let it dry. Then he wiped it right off.
It's guaranteed for 5 years and costs $600.
Has anybody tried it? I might be worth it to me just to keep the love bugs off.

Brian

The demo is here: http://www.xzilon.com/

Last edited by Briano77; 07-20-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 PM
rjm
Enthusiast
Default Re: Paint Protection - Xzilon

I think it is BS. I purchased it from my dealer and they said I did not have to wax my car again. It was guaranteed for 5 years. Anyway, a bird dropping on my roof left an etch mark and I wiped it off as soon as I seen it. After a couple of months of being garage kept, the surface is not as smooth as it once was and I do not believe it is doing what they claim. I am tempted to wax it but they told me if I did it would void the warranty. You be the judge. Anyone else have any comments on Xzilon?

Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Enthusiast

Interesting. I would try it for sure except for th $600 price tag the dealer quoted me. I guess a bra will work just as well for love bug season. I was impressed by the demo tape though.

Brian

Old 07-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am of the opinion these type of paint protection products do only one thing well: put money in the dealer's pocket. Anybody in the car business knows these are high profit add ons that they push when they close the deal.

The best way to care for your vehicle (per Toyota) is to wash it frequently and keep it waxed. Some car polish/wax products are better than others, but all should be reapplied every few months. And use a good car wash detergent. I use Black Magic auto wax and Turtle Wax car wash detergent. There are other good products out there of course, and I have used Maguliars cleaner wax and others.

I have waxed my vehicle twice in the last six months and it repels rain and dirt very well and looks great. Water really bubbles up on it when it really rains.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast

One thing I have never done is use a car wash detergent. Just a little dish soap in a bucked of water. I will definitely change my ways though and try the Turtle Wax. Thanks

Old 07-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Dish washing detergent is good at cleaning but my experience is that it is a little harsh. A little goes a long way. I prefer a car wash detergent like Turtle Wax Zip Wax Car Wash because it seems to leave a little shine and not strip the wax off as much.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What a load!

The dealership I worked for sold their "super duper, nuclear fission powered 7 year paint protector" for 600 bux as well. The finance guy once bragged to me that the product cost the dealer $17.50 plus the 0.5 hour minimum wage cost to have "Hose-A and Hose-B" rub it on during PDI. (as he was grinning and making a different kind of rubbing gesture)

Basically, if you do nothing but wash the finish as directed the paint is designed to last the (warranty) life of the car. Chrysler, for instance, learned that the class-action hard way about ten years ago.

Beyond that, if you really want the finish to shine like new, you have to wax it every so often and strip/claybar it once a year. There is no getting around it.

These snake oil products have been around forever. How many people who admitted to paying for it once, would do so again on a subsequent purchase?

Old 07-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's a waste of money, you are better off maintaining the exterior paint yourself. There are plenty of tips on the net on how to do that, plus it's very cheap, but a lot of elbow grease.

Anyway my current car finish looks better than it did when I picked it off the lot (and that was 2 years ago).

Old 07-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Briano77
One thing I have never done is use a car wash detergent. Just a little dish soap in a bucked of water. I will definitely change my ways though and try the Turtle Wax. Thanks
Dish soap?? That is probably the worse thing you can use on a car with wax on it. a number of detailer use Dawn to remove existing wax before they get started detailing a car. You will be better served with a soap made for auto's imho.

Roy

Old 07-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast

Well I have a new TCH on order and I will definiely treat it with TLC. No more dish soap.
Thanks for all your replies.

Brian

Quick Reply: Paint Protection - Xzilon

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands