Prius Extended Warranty - Good Idea or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Prius Extended Warranty - Good Idea or Not?

Hello all. I'd like to know if anyone purchased an Extended Warranty on their Prius? If so, can you tell me how much the Warranty cost, and what is covered. I'm just wondering if an extended warranty is a good idea or not. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Prius Extended Warranty - Good Idea or Not?

Hi,

Originally Posted by bowenj405
Hello all. I'd like to know if anyone purchased an Extended Warranty on their Prius? If so, can you tell me how much the Warranty cost, and what is covered. I'm just wondering if an extended warranty is a good idea or not. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
I had always planned to go 'self-maintenance' when I bought my used, 03 Prius. However, I understand the extended warranty can often be bought right up to the expiration of manufacturer's warranty. There is no need for double warranty for the 3/36000 miles.

As my 03 Prius approaches 92,000 miles, as recently as two months ago I got a letter offering an 'extended warranty.' However, I have already bought a spare traction battery and inverter so I'm mostly, not interested.

My recommendation is defer the extended warranty coverage and cost to begin when you approach the end of the manufacturing warranty.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

You can get the 7 year "platinum" extended warranty from Troy. Find him through Priuschat. He is at a Toyota dealership, and the warranty will cost just under $1000. It is actually a 4 year extension of the standard Toyota 3 year warranty included with all Prius. You can purchase it at any time during the 3 year initial warranty period. Sometimes there is a small charge if you wait. Check to see if that applies. It can be canceled at any time during the warranty interval, and you will be reimbursed for the "unused portion". Not a bad deal, overall. There are shorter versions also offered for less. There are also mileage variations in the offerings.

Now the opposing view. You are/have purchased a Toyota Prius, one of the most reliable cars on the road. Why do you think you need a warranty? If it's for your own peace of mind, go for it. Cheap peace of mind! Do realize the warranty company makes money, so the average cost of repair is much less than the cost of the warranty, as long as you are not the unlucky one.

The warranty does not cover everything. Wear parts, of course are excluded, but some other parts are as well. Check carefully. Pick up a warranty booklet at the Toyota dealership to see the list. Note that list is not complete. Ask for a more complete one. If you negotiate with your local dealer, you may be able to get a warranty for close to Troy's price. All dealers pay Toyota the same fee, the markup just varies a lot.

Finally, the extended warranty does give you a little more coverage than the included 3 yr warranty. The details appear to vary by region, so you'd have to check with the dealer for them.

Last edited by David Beale; 09-19-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I purchased the extended warranty from Troy via Prius Chat, seven- year, zero deductible for $690.
I also purchased the pre-paid maintenance plan from Troy for $670.

Hope not to use the extended warranty but costly, faulty MFD on many Prius is a possible concern.

I have two more years of pre-paid service and I use an independent, non-Toyota dealer company with excellent results.

I would buy both plans again.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I find an extended warranty for most vehicles to not be worth it. The hybrid portion is already covered for a long period. Take the money you would have spent on an extended warranty and put it in an online money market account earning 5%. Believe me if you do have warranty issues beyond Toyota's warranty, you will have more than enough funds to cover them. Granted you at least have to take care of the vehicle and not trash it.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by singingtiger
I purchased the extended warranty from Troy via Prius Chat, seven- year, zero deductible for $690.
I also purchased the pre-paid maintenance plan from Troy for $670.

Hope not to use the extended warranty but costly, faulty MFD on many Prius is a possible concern.

I have two more years of pre-paid service and I use an independent, non-Toyota dealer company with excellent results.

I would buy both plans again.

Is there anywhere on-line I can see what the extended warranty covers? If you can, please confirm that the extended warranty can be purchased anytime within the 3-year standard warranty.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Hybrid Newbie

I bought the extended warranty for my 2007 Prius Touring.
It covers everything you can think of that might or not break in the next 7 years 100K.

It cost me $1,700 to get it and yes, I bought it from Toyota.
For those people believe I got ripped off, I probably am.
But, to get a peace of mind for the next 7 years 100K without worrying any unexpected big bill, this is a fair price I am willing to pay. It's my decision and I will appreciate if you can hold off your kind comments regarding this matter.

I understand there is "off-market" extended warranty available and price is about $400 less for "similar" coverage. Note here, "similar". As a working mother of two, I have no time to file any claim, make any crazy phone calls, certainly don't have the strength to take 1 hour off work to call the insurance and argue the claim that got reject.

Toyota extended warranty can be bought by any Toyota dealership. So, it won't hurt you to check every dealership and see how much they want to charge you for that. Letting them know you plan to buy it separately, i.e. you may not buy the car from there but you want to buy the extended warranty from them if their price is acceptable to you. Toyota extended warranty is accepted by every Toyota dealership base on what Toyota told me.

True, Toyota is a good car maker. But I don't believe there is so-called 100% perfection quality. Everything out there is bound to break, it's just a matter of time and the degree of break-down. Then, you have to ask yourself -do you have the strength and time to absorb any of those unexpected events ? In other words, "do you feel lucky ?"

For me, it's a good idea. For you, you have to make the decision base on your situation.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Prius Extended Warranty - Good Idea or Not?

Originally Posted by minerval
I bought the extended warranty for my 2007 Prius Touring.
It covers everything you can think of that might or not break in the next 7 years 100K.

It cost me $1,700 to get it and yes, I bought it from Toyota.
For those people believe I got ripped off, I probably am.
But, to get a peace of mind for the next 7 years 100K without worrying any unexpected big bill, this is a fair price I am willing to pay. It's my decision and I will appreciate if you can hold off your kind comments regarding this matter.
. . .
The key point is the warranty needs to match your expectations, your plans for the vehicle. If my wife were to buy a hybrid and I were not around, I would encourage her to get the extended warranty because she is not technical (one of the many things that has kept us both laughing over the years.) However, I bought a used, soon to be out of warranty Prius so I could 'experiment' without risking voiding the warranty.

Really, it is the owner's requirements, nothing else, that decides the issue and I can see both sides of the coin (which also leaves my wife and I LOL.)

Bob Wilson

Old 09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

I just sent off a request to Troy (see Priuschat.com store). His price for the 7/100m platinum was cheap compared to what the dealer wanted.
To me, the Prius is so complicated and such a computerized car, that one of those components will pay for the coverage, if it goes out.
Call me silly - I've never purchased an extended warranty before but I'm hedging my bets

Old 09-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If nothing goes wrong with your vehicle, then an extended warranty was a waste of money. It is almost as if people buy an extended warranty with the hopes that something goes wrong.

I'm just saying that the purchase price of them could have been put into something that actually makes a person money, if you never need it to repair the vehicle. Toyota supposedly makes great vehicles that last. So with that in mind, if we need an extended warrranty for peace of mind, then what does it say about Toyota quality?

So basically an extended warranty is like insurance, you will pay out your nose without seeing a return for your investment.

Last edited by Resist; 09-21-2007 at 02:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Prius Extended Warranty - Good Idea or Not?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands