08 FEH - Brake noise and jerk when stopping

Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM
gsc
Enthusiast
Default 08 FEH - Brake noise and jerk when stopping

I have a new 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid I purchased in October, and it now has approximately 1000 miles. Love the car, but something strange happened yesterday while Christmas shopping and I want to get the forum's opinion on how this whole brake system works.

When I brake, it feels like the vehicle (ie - a brake controller?) is stiffly applying more braking force as I roll to a stop, with an accompanying very loud groan from the rear. For example, I will be smoothly braking from 30 miles per hour toward 0 approaching a red light. Everything is normal until I get down to <2 miles per hour and about 10-ft short of stopping. Then, even though I am holding constant light brake pedal position, the FEH jerks like someone stomped on the brake, and the rear brakes groan loudly (so loud my 3-year old said "I hear a train coming!"). When the light turns green and I pull my foot off the brake, I again hear the loud groan and I sense that the brake drags for a moment. Then I get just a bit of speed (say, ~1mph) and all is normal again.

No issues or brake noise at all when applying brakes at any sort of speed, on corners, etc. No warning lights or indicators. Behavior is the same with both ICE on and off.

I almost wrote it off to a combination of brake pad break-in and weather (first really rainy and cold day in Houston this year). However, it was so intense that I thought it was at least worth a post on Green-Hybrid.

So my questions are:
(1) Is this normal?
(2) Anybody experience anything similar?
(3) Do I take it to the dreaded dealer?

Regards,
Greg in Houston

Old 11-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Default Re: 08 FEH - Brake noise and jerk when stopping

Hi Greg

Rain will cause the regen system to have a grab effect with noise near the end of a stop sometimes. This is normal as the transfer from regen to rear pads occurs. I thought it would get fixed by now, but it may be something we will have to deal with the benefits of regen braking. It if does it when the roads are dry, take it back to the dealer.

GaryG

Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Even though mine wasn't that loud, I had something similiar.

I called the dealer, they told me to go out and break while the hybrid is in Neutral. I did a few stops in the city while in Neutral and it went away.

Apparently Neutral disables the regen braking???

Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

To the original poster... this has happened to a few people with 2005's but I had not heard of it with the newer 2007's and 2008's.

It's probably nothing horrible, but not exactly "normal" either.

Do try that tip of braking briskly in a safe place with the car in Neutral.
You can go from D to N at any speed.

Then try braking gently in N back down to zero miles per hour and see how it feels.

If it continues, have a dealer look into it.
It may be ok and a little bit expected from a brand new vehicle.
I would not expect this from a car with 1-2,000 miles.

FYI there is no regenerative braking in Neutral, and there is no regenerative brakes at 5 MPH and under. The "grip" some people feel is when the car changes from regen ( motor brake ) to brake pads. This change happens at 5 MPH when you are coasting to a stop. I feel a little harsh "grip" sometimes, especially when my brakes are wet. As soon as they get hot and become dry, they grip harder.

I never have (heard) any sounds.
-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 11-25-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Feral Engineer

My 2007 does this in rainy weather. A stop in neutral fixes it.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 PM
gsc
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Now that the rainy weather is gone, the behavior has stopped. If it returns, I will do the stop in neutral.

Greg

Old 11-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I too had this a few times in my '08 FEH. During the first 3000 miles and usually during wet weather or after washing the vehicle. On other vehicles, I've had the same rear pad noise when installing new rear rotors and pads (read: max rotor thickness coupled + max pad thickness = tighter clearance in the caliper), in this case I ran a few 1/4 mile runs with the parking break gently applied. I haven't looked to see but there's a good chance that his would work on the FEH if the parking brake is cable controlled to the rear brake calipers.

I also expect this issue is more noticeable in the hybrids because the brake break-in period takes longer due to less pad usage. On the positive side this behavior is what will lead to longer pad life across the life of the vehicle. Another hidden Hybrid savings... (for those calculating "premium" payoff).