Do filters last as long as synthetic oil?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Do filters last as long as synthetic oil?

Cars that take regular oil typically need to have it changed every 3000 miles or 3 months.
Synthetic oils need replacing every 5000 miles or 6 months.
I know that the oils are designed to last longer, but filters are filters, right?
Are they capable of lasting and operating effectively as long as six months?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.
Default Re: Do filters last as long as synthetic oil?

Who says regular oil lasts only 3000 miles? Follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule with regular oil and you'll be just fine. I replace my oil and filter every 5000 miles, with "regular" oil, which works out to just under 6 months, with no issues.

On the flip side, isn't dirty oil dirty oil whether it's regular or synthetic?

Last edited by jay_man2; 11-18-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:38 PM

That's how long I thought it was supposed to last. I could be wrong (usually am!)

Old 11-18-2007, 06:31 PM

I was looking at the oil display in the Walmart Automotive section last night. I was looking to see if they carried the 0W -20 oil yet. Nope not here in our town of 38,000.

I did see a large container of Mobil One Oil, Extended Oil Change. It read 15,000 miles guaranteed. I did not read the fine print or if they mentioned using a Mobil One Filter or not. They may make 7500 to 10,000 mile filters but I feel safer with the 5000 mile oil and filter changes.

I do know that one of the best is the Purolator One oil filter. It's a one micron filter. It's tested using the full flow method which it like being tested in real driving conditions.

In America, Purolator was making the Toyota oil filters back in 2003. I'm not sure if they still do but the filter still looks like the Purolator other than the color.

I wonder how many brands of filters are now made in China. I buy my filters from the Dealer so it will match what came on our new TCH.

Last edited by rburt07; 11-18-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Cars that take regular oil typically need to have it changed every 3000 miles or 3 months. WRONG!!
Synthetic oils need replacing every 5000 miles or 6 months. WRONG!!
I know that the oils are designed to last longer, but filters are filters, right? WRONG!!
YES!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Thanks!
Always wondered about that.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 AM

I go by what the maintenace minder on my HCH2 tells me to do. My first oil and tire rotation was done at 15400 kil with 5% still to go. No filter on the first change! "Yes I know the filter should be change", but I am going to do as I'm told. The car uses 0-20 Honda brand oil. [Not sure if it is sinthetic or not] I change oil and filter in my MX5 every 3000 kil. and have been for years. What a waste! The only reason I post this is maybe we change our oil more than what is required. Most people using Mobile-1 0-20 should be able to go a year before changing regardless of distance traveled? For what its worth, H

Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Cars that take regular oil typically need to have it changed every 3000 miles or 3 months.
Synthetic oils need replacing every 5000 miles or 6 months.
I know that the oils are designed to last longer, but filters are filters, right?
The short answer is no, regular filters do not last as long as sysnthetic oil. You should match the appropriate filter with the type of oil you are putting in. Mobil 1 makes a bunch of high end filters designed to last as long as your oil change.

And no...filters are not filters. Do a search on the net and you will see plenty of data on the matter. Including cutaways showing you what is cheap and what is good.

BUT, if you are the type to change your oil frequently (along with the filter), then going the cheap filter route is not going to harm anything.