Intelligent Key Fob Battery Replacement

Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Intelligent Key Fob Battery Replacement

Has anybody had to replace the battery in their intelligent key fob?

I am wondering how long they last, and how to replace them.

I don't see any obvious way to open the thing up to change the battery. And I don't want to take a screwdriver to it and just start prying around.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Intelligent Key Fob Battery Replacement

It's easy to open up - I've done that with my spare to remove the battery so my wife can carry it in her purse as a backup. With the battery out, she can leave her purse in the trunk if she wants.
Remove the physical key from the fob. That will expose a slot in the casing, along the seam. Insert the tip of the key into the slot and twist. Voila. You're done.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:43 AM
old fart

I purchased my car last dec.and my fob failed about a month ago.my dealer just took the numbers from my fob and ordered it.I got it the next day and they programed it with a computer and away i went.
this was the second time it failed,the first time i held it to the power button and it started but the second time got nothing.I keep my spare in my glove compartment wrapped in tin foil so it dont talk to the car.
the dealer said he had not replaced one prior to mine failing.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have interference problems in a couple of places I park regularly where the fob has trouble getting picked up by the car. First time totally freaked me out, and I had to open the door with my physical key and dig in the manual to find out how to turn it on. But usually I can manage to get it to recognize a button-push to lock/unlock if I have the fob about.. just behind the driver's door, mid-low window level, and the deal with holding the fob to the ignition button to get the car to read it works consistently.

But otherwise, almost 18 months and still no problems.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by duanerw
I purchased my car last dec.and my fob failed about a month ago.my dealer just took the numbers from my fob and ordered it.I got it the next day and they programed it with a computer and away i went.
this was the second time it failed,the first time i held it to the power button and it started but the second time got nothing.I keep my spare in my glove compartment wrapped in tin foil so it dont talk to the car.
the dealer said he had not replaced one prior to mine failing.
I suggest that you remove the battery from the spare and tape it to the outside of the fob. Keeping it wrapped in foil may stop it from talking to the car, but it still lets the fob drain the battery. You might find it dead the day you need to use it.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmorrow
I suggest that you remove the battery from the spare and tape it to the outside of the fob. Keeping it wrapped in foil may stop it from talking to the car, but it still lets the fob drain the battery. You might find it dead the day you need to use it.
No need.

If the fob battery is dead (or removed) you still have functionality!

- Physical key doesn't need the battery. You can still open the doors.
- Hold the fob right up to (almost touching) the "start" button - the car WILL start!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by n8kwx
No need.

If the fob battery is dead (or removed) you still have functionality!

- Physical key doesn't need the battery. You can still open the doors.
- Hold the fob right up to (almost touching) the "start" button - the car WILL start!
True enough - from an emergency use perspective, you're still fine. I was thinking more of the convenience aspect. Your main fob's battery dies, or it just quits, and you want to switch over to the other one, only to find it dead too.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmorrow
True enough - from an emergency use perspective, you're still fine. I was thinking more of the convenience aspect. Your main fob's battery dies, or it just quits, and you want to switch over to the other one, only to find it dead too.
I carry my extra FOB inside my car. So the car won't sense the FOB is nearby and the battery won't wear down, I opened it up and put a strip of cellophane between the batttery and one of the contacts with a small piece sticking out of the FOB case.

I can still use the FOB to start the car by holding it close to the start button and in case of wanting the battery reactivated, I can simply pull out the cellophane strip and let the battery make contact again.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by skata
I carry my extra FOB inside my car. So the car won't sense the FOB is nearby and the battery won't wear down, I opened it up and put a strip of cellophane between the batttery and one of the contacts with a small piece sticking out of the FOB case.

I can still use the FOB to start the car by holding it close to the start button and in case of wanting the battery reactivated, I can simply pull out the cellophane strip and let the battery make contact again.
That works. I like that better than my taping the battery to the outside.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had been wondering about the battery life of the fob for a long time and was about to take it to Toyota to get another one sometime soon as a precaution . I've had the car 2 years now...it HAS to be wearing down by now.

Well today as I am exiting the vehicle, it see on the display LOW BATTERY ON KEY FOB.

Cool, so the car will let you know in advance. I like that.

I opened the FOB using the directions above, but I don't see the battery, only the circut board.

I was/am hoping it's a basic battery that I can purchase (less expensively) from Radio Shack.

Does anyone know the type of battery it is, and how I am possibly missing seeing it when I open the FOB.

Thanks

Byron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intelligent Key Fob Battery Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands