New Owner's FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default New Owner's FAQ

This was the original version of the FAQ.

This post has been edited and the full content is in a new thread for version 2.0.

Please click here to see the new (and cleaned up) FAQ.

Thanks!

Last edited by haroldo; 01-22-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner's FAQ

1 -- out of most minds now, but extreme heat also drops FE as does use of the air conditioner.

4.1 -- this is explained in this thread how-come-i-cant-go-into-ev-mode-sometimes in the third post.

5 and 8 are wrong -- engine braking doesn't regenerate (the energy is lost). If you coast or use the brake pedal, the energy is regenerated, recharging the hybrid battery. People have reported decreased FE using "B".

7 is limited to only the small 12 volt battery. The hybrid battery can only be jumped at a dealer.

Last edited by talmy; 01-04-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by talmy
1 -- out of most minds now,...
4.1 -- this is explained in this ...
5 and 8 are wrong -- engine braking doesn't regenerate (the energy is lost). If you coast or use the brake pedal, the energy is regenerated, recharging the hybrid battery. People have reported decreased FE using "B".
7 is limited to only ....
I edited items #1, 4.1 and 7.
I can't assess 5 and 8, one way or the other.
I edited #5 to remove reference to regeneration. On #8 I added a disclaimer due to the disagreement on this topic.
If there is a definite answer on this one then I will edit the post. I am not an expert and don't know, one way or the other.

Last edited by haroldo; 01-04-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

For 4.1, EV mode is what you refer to right afterwards as "driving in the blue"--EV mode means (at least I assume, as it means this in other areas) "electric vehicle" mode. This is what you're in any time you're traveling purely on battery. The "mode" you're referring to, that you can get into after an ~8 second stop while the ICE is fully warmed up, is often referred to here in the forums as "full hybrid" mode, which just means the car is primed to switch freely between EV mode and ICE driving while the speed is under 40 mph. Any time you're not in this "full hybrid" mode, the only ways to switch to EV/electric driving is to slowly accelerate from a full stop, or to come down from 40+ mph. And if not in "full hybrid" mode, if at any time you trigger the ICE firing up by accelerating, you will not be able to switch back to EV without doing the 40+ or cold start again. In "full hybrid" this isn't a problem as it switches instantly from EV to ICE as needed.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by chestr
For 4.1, EV mode ....
Edited 4.1 to link the term EV Mode to your post.
Thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 AM

If anyone has any other items to add in (especially #10) let me know and I will edit the post.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: New Owner's FAQ

Originally Posted by haroldo
If anyone has any other items to add in (especially #10) let me know and I will edit the post.
ECU is the Engine Control Unit. This is the computer "brain" for the entire Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive system (HSD) and controls all of the energy utilization and recovery.

HSD is Toyota's trade name for the electronic continuously variable drive system currently used in all of Toyota's hybrid vehicles.

MG1 is the smaller motor generator mechanically connected to the Power Split Device (PSD) sun gear. It is utilized by the Engine Control Unit to provide what is the equivalent of a "gear ratio" for the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive system (HSD).

MG2 is the larger motor generator mechanically connected to the driven axle (axles in the Hylander AWD) and the Power Split Device (PSD) ring gear. It is utilized by the Engine Control Unit for electrically driving the vehicle, assisted electric power for the ICE when required and for recovery of excess energy when coasting and braking, sometime called regenerative energy or simply regen.

PSD is the power split device -- it replaces the transmission in the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive system (HSD). Look here to see how it works.

Last edited by FastMover; 01-04-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by FastMover
ECU is the ...
Thanks!
I edited #10 to include a link to your post.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thank You All>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 01-08-2008, 05:16 PM

I asked the admins here if they would consider making this thread a sticky.
I got this reply
You've got a nice start there to the Camry FAQ, but you should flesh it out more, and get some greater consensus from some of the other owners, then try a version 1.2 or somesuch.

Feel free to take a look at the Ford Escape Hybrid FAQ or the Prius FAQ for ideas.

When you get a fuller FAQ, I'll sticky it.
So...if anyone wants to help me clean up this thread, or add in extra info, I think it would be a great tool for any new or prospective TCH owner.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Owner's FAQ

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands