Extreme cold and Power Steering

Old 01-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Extreme cold and Power Steering

Temperatures here tonight were -13F (-42 with wind chill) with lots of drifting and blowing snow.

I had no problems during two 10 mile highway trips over a one hour period, but after restarting the FEH after about 10 minutes for a short run for some chinese food I lost power steering. The service wrench appeared and in the info screen it said service power steering. After coming back from my buddy's house it was back with no errors; the temperatures were the same. If anything the FEH was colder....it was slower to warm up and the info display struggled to flip messages.

Any ideas what's going on...and also would this be considered a "Hybrid" component under the 8/10 yr warranty? The PS system is unique to the Hybrid is it not?

On a side note, when I mentioned it to wifey she informed me she experienced the same message/problem about two weeks ago. Isn't that typical to not tell about it!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Extreme cold and Power Steering

There are "glitches" from time to time.
If it keeps happening though... you have a problem.
I just had a "service regen brakes" message, then it went away.
No, power steering is NOT a hybrid unique component.
Your "Hybrid" warranty covers 3 parts, and only these 3 parts:

The HV battery
The 330v to 14v DC/DC converter
The eCVT transmission ( which includes the traction motor and generator )

Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ice frozen on the stearing mechanism.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hmmm, ok Mob... you said before that I shouldn't be worried about how my 08 is going to operate in cold temps - now you've got me worried.

It's -43c (-45f) here this morning. I know that nothing mechanical is going to operate really well in that kind of environment but I can't help but wonder if it's going to be more of a problem with the FEH.

With the long waits for delivery it probably won't arrive for a few more months, by then we'll be well in to spring. But next year, for that week or two of really cold weather....

Someone please tell me that Ford has rigourously tested the FEH in Alaska, and that I shouldn't worry.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:44 AM

I generally have only positive things to say about this car.

At -45'F ( if you let the car get that cold ) I am positive it won't work well... maybe not at all. If it does, you can expect about 9 MPG!

But... I'm sure you all in the far North are diligent of using plug-in heaters and parking indoors... then you will be OK.

I've driven one for 3 years, and it gets me where I need to go, but acts strange at below -0F degrees, and acts a little scary ( wouldn't want to be far from help ) at below -15'F.

The use of a plug-in heater heater helps.... a lot.
You in the far North probably know more tricks than us amateurs using Block Heaters, Battery Warmers, and grille covers in balmy Minnesota.

Sorry if that scares you, but that's me being honest.
Truth be told, there is more that can go wrong... but I'm not saying it will. Is any car reliable at -45'F? -John

Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

To clarify, I still had steering, just no POWER steering for the one short trip. Everything else seemed to work fine.

As for MPG in such cold weather...it really isn't as bad as 9mpg. The next day I took about a 100mile round trip, mostly highway, to town in very similar weather, high winds, blowing snow and well below 0deg F...because we have a 6mos old with us I left the car idling while at the various stops, almost an hour at the doctor's, and still got over 20mpg. Definitely pretty good in my books.

Anyone who has owned a vehicle in similar environments knows that it is a bonus for any vehicle to work, let alone work flawlessly. While in the city I noticed street after street of vehicles with hoods up, getting jump starts, towed away etc.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM

Now now... you are ruining my, my, my.... "procedure"....

Tell people in -40 degree weather to expect 9 MPG... so when they get 19 MPG, they are duly impressed....

Old 01-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

You know its almost a miracle that these cars work at all in those conditions. So here in Texas we can have 110'F days and the cars work and up in the great white north you guys are driving around in -40'F. At -40'F most oils are grease and dont flow well. Gasoline is hard to atomize and even the radiators are getting dangerously close to freezing even with proper antifreeze.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast

My wife had the exact problem you described when it went down to
-8. We are located in Southern Michigan.
I advised her to get an an oil change because it was due and have the
fluid levels checked. Power fluid level was fine. Workers stated that
they had several complaints re power steering that day on several types
of autos.The person who suggested frozen ice on steering mechanism
was probally right. Problem went away and has not returned. I think
you had power steering but ice on the mechanism caused a computer
to trip the warning signal. It only felt like you did not having power
steering but ice blockage gave you and the computer the idea that
there was a problem with the power steering. Will post if the problem
reappears

Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I just had a "service regen brakes" message, then it went away.
Same here. My 06 gave me that meaasge a couple times & then it never did it again (the last time was probably close to a year/10,000 miles ago)

~John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extreme cold and Power Steering

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands