Clunking noise when stopped and after shut off

Old 12-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Clunking noise when stopped and after shut off

I have an 08 AWD hybrid and just noticed this weekend that I hear a thumping/clunking noise when stopped AND after shutting the engine off.

The noise is a rhythmic clunk/thump that repeats a little more than once a second for up to 10 seconds before fading out after the engine has been shut off. It is more prevalent with a cold engine and becomes barely perceptible or not at all when warm.

I haven't been able to track it down to a specific location yet. Overall performance is normal. We did have some snow and freezing rain this week and the temperature has been all over the place - 50º during the day, 20º at night - so I'm taking that into account.

I was just wondering of anyone here might have any insight on this.

Thanks!

-todd.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Clunking noise when stopped and after shut off

Are you hearing fuel tank slosh?

Old 12-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

You didn't say hissing, so I'm thinking that it's not the brakes depressurizing.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think it is probably normal. Is it the same noise you hear when you open the door? It could just be the system priming itself or shutting down. Could be the battery fan door in the rear opening/closing. Could be a number of things.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the replies.

It's a different noise than the usual start up and shut off brake and fan sounds.

I hadn't thought of fuel tank slosh... I'll see if it continues with this tank.

I just wanted to try to narrow it down and see if others have had similar issues first. I've already taken it to Ford twice for other noises and have learned that it's best to be as specific as possible with them. Of course noises tend to disappear when it's at the dealer, so maybe I'll drive past the service center and that will make the noises go away!

Thanks again,
Todd.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tommyball
Thanks for all of the replies.

It's a different noise than the usual start up and shut off brake and fan sounds.

I hadn't thought of fuel tank slosh... I'll see if it continues with this tank.

I just wanted to try to narrow it down and see if others have had similar issues first. I've already taken it to Ford twice for other noises and have learned that it's best to be as specific as possible with them. Of course noises tend to disappear when it's at the dealer, so maybe I'll drive past the service center and that will make the noises go away!

Thanks again,
Todd.
My guess from your description is the fuel tank slosh personally. Its pretty noticable on this vehicle especially if you fold the back seats down.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

My 08 makes a similar noise, occurs with a full tank only, goes away at about 3/4 tank. There's a post about it somewhere in the forum. I thought is was a gas tank float valve, or something like that, in the tank, with inadequate clearance when the tank is full and it bangs around a bit. Had a similar noise in a Taurus once-- was told it was a fuel tank baffle that had come loose. Haven't checked with the dealer though-- let us know if you do.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well after taking my car in last week for some rattle in the brake pedal which took 5 days to fix, I think I'll hold off on this probable fuel tank slosh until the next oil change.

Thanks for all the tips...

-todd

Old 12-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Feral Engineer

I filled up the fuel tank on my 07 today and am getting fuel slosh. I never noticed it before, but I may have just ignored it, since I recognize it readily.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Radioactive Enthusiast

I hear a similar slosh/clunk noise at least once or twice a week in my 08 FEH. It has a recurrence or a pattern that decreases pretty quickly (usually within 20-30 seconds after turning the car off its gone), but it "feels" like a more solid impact from inside the car than liquid sloshing. I have tried turning off the car then getting out real quick to listen near the rear end of the car, but the sound has usually [almost] completely gone away by then. The frequency feels consistent with the fuel slosh idea mentioned above, but does anyone believe it might be a part or object in the fuel tank that is being tossed around? Or any other ideas?

Thanks!
-Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunking noise when stopped and after shut off

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands