Rattle from Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rattle from Rear Hatch

Has anyone had any rattles coming from the rear hatch and window area while driving over bumps or on rough road and been able to track down the exact location or cause?

I have had the rattle in my 08 FEH and while that's in the shop for hail damage (yay!),for a rental I have an 08 V6 AWD MM with exactly the same rattle. I'm wondering if it's something with the window or hatch latch.

Thanks.

-todd

Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Rattle from Rear Hatch

I just noticed this recently, after about 3 years w/o the rattle.

Almost like a screw or bolt "came loose" or something.
Starting to bug me.....

Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

Exactly the same thing going on with my '08 with 13,300 mi.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Probably a stupid question, but did you pop the glass and shut it firmly?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Everytime. It sounds like something like a nut or bolt has fallen off and is rattling between the tailgate and tailgate interior panel, which is really noticeable when driving slowly, such as in traffic on LA's bumpy freeways. I from time to time press against the tailgate panel interior trim to make sure any snap clips are properly engaged. I use my tailgate often, however I do not slam the gate closed.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have it too, I think. Mine doesn't sound like a loose bolt ratelling around, I think mine is the plastic defroter channeling ratteling, I just keep forgetting to take some clear duct tape out and confirm my theory.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Probably a stupid question, but did you pop the glass and shut it firmly?
I've checked the glass and all around and haven't been able to find anything that might be causing it. Everything that I can access seems secure.

After I picked up my 08 FEH yesterday from the shop, I asked the insurance agent who helped me who happened to have an 08 FE 4WD if she has window and dash rattles and she said that yes she did. I think it's interesting that between my 08 FEH, the agent's 08 FE, and the 08 MM rental, all have significant rattle problems.

I'm trying not to be too picky about it, but I really didn't have any rattle/interior noise issues with my 99 Explorer.

-t

Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

I had this same problem (or what seems to be the same problem)...

For me it was the glass on the rear end rattling where it hooks in. I ended up fixing it by wrapping the metal connector on the glass gate with a piece of electrical tape where it contacts the white latch. The problem immediately went away and hasn't returned since (~4 months).

Tom

Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Had my 08 FEH to the dealer this morning. They have not yet found the rattle in the glass area of the liftgate. All I know is...if I open the blasted glass, and drive over a rough road/street...no rattle. As soon as I shut it, it comes back. I've tried wrapping tape around the loop striker, no help. If I let a thin blanket drape out through the window opening, & shut it....no rattle, either. Just putting extra 'stress' on the window or on the latch doesn't seem to help any....nuts. Anyone having any better luck ?

Gary

Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by tas246
I had this same problem (or what seems to be the same problem)...

For me it was the glass on the rear end rattling where it hooks in. I ended up fixing it by wrapping the metal connector on the glass gate with a piece of electrical tape where it contacts the white latch. The problem immediately went away and hasn't returned since (~4 months).

Tom
Ditto on my 2007. I wrapped both the lift gate and the glass strikers

Quick Reply: Rattle from Rear Hatch

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands