HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

dealer cost for installing a block heater?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Rookie Enthusiast
Default dealer cost for installing a block heater?

hello all,

after much delay, I'm following all the good advice on this forum and having an engine block heater installed on my 2008 HCHII. However, I live out in sunny Portland OR, and my local dealer doesn't have much of a clue about doing the installation--- not encouraging! They are also quoting an install cost of $280.00, which seems ridiculous, but I haven't found any recent comparisons from other folks who have had a block heater installed in the U.S.

Anyone have a recent experience with a dealer installation they can share? How much they charged?

thanks

PCope

Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: dealer cost for installing a block heater?

I don't have any hard numbers to back this up, but $280 sounds reasonable. In addition to the block heater itself, you have:
- Labor (drain coolant, install heater, fill coolant)
- Coolant (the actual fluid)
- Disposal of old fluid

Old 06-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I got mine installed here in MN for $70. That is for labor only, I bought the part at hondapartsdeals.com

Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

If you had it installed at our Dealership, it would be 189.00 plus tax for parts and installation...and im in san Antonio TX where we NEVER need these and our guys know how to install them just fine....its actually pretty easy.

The part also comes with specifics on install....just saw them myself.

CBond

(PS - the Heater is a Plug-In type thing....and you dont have to drain the coolant and all just to install it)

I have the instructions for anyone that may need them by the way.

Last edited by CBondHonda; 06-24-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Enthused Enthusiast

I live down in Salem (thats 30 mins south for you non-Oregonians), and am wondering what you hope to accomplish by having a block heater? We don't get that cold that often - unless I misunderstand the purpose of the heater...?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Rookie Enthusiast

thanks, all, for the responses; I also called around in the meantime and got a quote from another area Honda dealer for $150 ($254 with the part, but I already have it). I've done a lot of work on my other (older) cars, but I'm feeling whimpish about digging into the HCHII just yet.

In response to limey6413's question, I've been struggling with sub-optimal conditions for 'hypermiling'-- unavoidable hills, lights, relatively short commute, carpoolers, our 10% ETOH gas. Postively demoralizing! One clear difference on my daily trip to work is whether the car is warmed up or not-- at least 10 mpg difference over the first 5 miles, which is about the length of my commute. So even though the Willamette Valley (Portland, Salem, etc) doesn't get that cold, the engine temp clearly makes a big difference. After reading the other posts about the value of engine block heaters, even in warmer climates (like our California neighbors to the south), I thought I'd give it a try.

cheers

PCope

Old 06-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

Originally Posted by pcope
thanks, all, for the responses; I also called around in the meantime and got a quote from another area Honda dealer for $150 ($254 with the part, but I already have it). I've done a lot of work on my other (older) cars, but I'm feeling whimpish about digging into the HCHII just yet.

In response to limey6413's question, I've been struggling with sub-optimal conditions for 'hypermiling'-- unavoidable hills, lights, relatively short commute, carpoolers, our 10% ETOH gas. Postively demoralizing! One clear difference on my daily trip to work is whether the car is warmed up or not-- at least 10 mpg difference over the first 5 miles, which is about the length of my commute. So even though the Willamette Valley (Portland, Salem, etc) doesn't get that cold, the engine temp clearly makes a big difference. After reading the other posts about the value of engine block heaters, even in warmer climates (like our California neighbors to the south), I thought I'd give it a try.

cheers

PCope

WOW

Your parts and install prices are crazy where you are....

Maybe its just the market there...but 189.00 was for parts AND Installation here.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by limey6413
I live down in Salem (thats 30 mins south for you non-Oregonians), and am wondering what you hope to accomplish by having a block heater? We don't get that cold that often - unless I misunderstand the purpose of the heater...?
You will lose about 20% of your MPG in the winter due to the temps--the colder it gets, the larger the impact. Having an engine block heater allows your car to "get into the zone" a lot quicker and will help your economy.

It is unlikely that you would ever recoup the cost of an engine block heater on gas savings (especially when you factor in the electricity, albeit a small amount). However, it will help overcome the "pain" of seeing that winter decrease! I have one in the MMH and decided that it wouldn't be worth it to have one installed in the HCH. However, if I could install one myself, it might be worth it.

CBondHonda: how easy is it on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being an oil change and 10 being an engine replacement?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Enthused Enthusiast

I see - I was worried about my 5-mile commute too, but I'll just live with the pain of seeing the mpg be lower..

Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

My dealer sells the EBH outright for $60, and charges $70 an hour for the install. I couldn't get them to pin down the cost anymore than that.

Originally Posted by CBondHonda
I have the instructions for anyone that may need them by the way.
I would love to have those instructions and the part number you purchased.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dealer cost for installing a block heater?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands