Check engine light on ODBII code P1423

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Check engine light on ODBII code P1423

Check engine light came on the other day. Got the code read at the local auto parts store and its P1423. I have been unable to find out what that code means. Anyone know?

I'm thinking its a result of the gas cap not being on tight enough... Before you poke fun, note I live in NJ where its illegal to pump your own gas

Can anyone confirm and save me a trip to the dealership? If it could be the gas cap, any idea how long the light would stay on for, like how many vehicle starts/stops or something? Or is there a quicker way to reset? Auto parts store refused to clear the code... I'd like to reset then see if it comes back, of course assuming that code indicates a possible gas cap not tight enough issue.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check engine light on ODBII code P1423

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...ta&btnG=Search

P1423

EGI Functionality Test Failed

Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo

EGI Functionality Test Failed
Sorry, still not clear. Does that indicate a possible cause is the fuel cap? Or what is EGI?

Old 07-09-2008, 06:35 AM

No clue...I just Googled it, you have to "...grasp the stone from my hand, grasshoper!"

Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

I had the same problem. The Service person at the dealership said it was due to an incompletely closed gas cap which affected the emissions system.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 AM

According to my friend who owns a gas station...in many instances the 'check engine' light is due to loose gas cap.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by milehigh304
I had the same problem. The Service person at the dealership said it was due to an incompletely closed gas cap which affected the emissions system.
Great, thanks for the info! Did the light eventually go out or did the service tech have to reset it for it to go off?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Check engine light on ODBII code P1423

Try tightening it when you get home

Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
SPL

electro22 — Yes, it's a fuel tank "gross leak" code, presumably (as you speculated) due to the gas cap not being properly tightened. See the attached pages from the Repair Manual. The Check Engine light should go off after two subsequent restarts, and I believe that the recorded trouble code should also disappear eventually.

Stan

Attached Files

Last edited by SPL; 07-09-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
See the attached pages from the Repair Manual.
Just what I was looking for, thanks! I like the detection logic part too as that further confirms what happened since the light came on 2 trips after the last fuel up (i.e. the 4th time starting the vehicle after the fill-up... after fill-up = 1st start, trip 1 = 2nd start, trip 2 = 3rd start, next trip 4th start and light on).
Wish it would turn off after 2 trips. Since the light came on, I immediately tightened the gas cap which was a tad loose. But I have gone through several trips since then, at least 5, and the light is still on. I made a appointment at the dealer for tomorrow, if the light goes off before then I'll report back indicating the number of trips to reset.

Quick Reply: Check engine light on ODBII code P1423

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands