2007 Steering Column Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2007 Steering Column Noise

I finally gave in and left my car overnite at the dealer so they could replace the Intermediate Steering column shaft. I had put up with that noise for well over 1 year...they also insulated the console plate for the dreaded squeek...the service advisor said he had never heard that complaint before... Both problems are now solved.. Yippee

Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Electricity Guzzler
Default Re: 2007 Steering Column Noise

Could you describe this further? Was the sound intermittent? Did it only make the sound on hard turns? - both to the right and to the left?

Did the sound originate within the dash or just past the steering wheel? - was it loud enough to hear over the radio? Did it click once or twice while turning or did you get 7 or 8 clicks on a hard turn? Did it sound metallic and high pitched or was it lower in bass? Could you feel any vibration on the plastic cover behind the steering wheel as it clicked? What is exactly the issue with this intermediate steering shaft? - improperly installed? - what did they change with the newer part in the TSB/ - Does anyone have the Canadian TSB number? Is this a quick 1 hour job or do they have to take out the dash at all? - inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

The noise could be heard and felt in the steering wheel on both left and right turns. It was a knock,clunk type noise. Sometimes it would knock several times on a turn. There is a TSB out there for this...I dont have the number but it can be found on this message board, just search for steering noise. The correction is a replacement shaft. It is a repair that takes about 4 hours. They dont have to take the dash apart.

Could you describe this further? Was the sound intermittent? Did it only make the sound on hard turns? - both to the right and to the left?

Did the sound originate within the dash or just past the steering wheel? - was it loud enough to hear over the radio? Did it click once or twice while turning or did you get 7 or 8 clicks on a hard turn? Did it sound metallic and high pitched or was it lower in bass? Could you feel any vibration on the plastic cover behind the steering wheel as it clicked? What is exactly the issue with this intermediate steering shaft? - improperly installed? - what did they change with the newer part in the TSB/ - Does anyone have the Canadian TSB number? Is this a quick 1 hour job or do they have to take out the dash at all? - inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:03 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

fullofbeans — The TSB is called "Steering Intermediate Shaft Noise." It applies to 2007 Camrys, both hybrid and non-hybrid in a certain range of VINs. The Canadian TSB # is TSB2737, dated 2007-04-26. The US TSB # is ST002-07, dated 2007-04-25. The US TSB was posted by LouBeck in post #10 of the thread "Steering Problems - Binding and Clicks."

Stan

Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
it's just a car...
Old 07-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My TCH has started to have a noise in the steering column area. It sounds like a zip tie and last a fraction of a second. It seems to happen every now and then and I have been unable to pin point why. It is like a 'bzzzz' 'bzzzz' almost sounding like the steering column locking system noise when you power off the car.

Has anyone had this noise?