Oil drain plug torque

Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Oil drain plug torque

Does anyone know the torgue foe the oil drain plug? I found out the torque for the oil filter is 24 ft. lb. When I do an oil change it only takes 4.25 quarts of oil to bring up to full mark on dip stick. I think the problem may be I need to raise front of vehicle more when changing oil.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH
Default Re: Oil drain plug torque

should hold around 4.5qts. I actually hand-tighten the filter housing, and I still need the wrench to remove it.
I've been changing oil in my vehicles since I was 15 (about 30yrs) and have never measured tourqe on the drain plug, I just use a standard 3/8 ratchet and just tighten till snug..... (not very technical but have never had a leak) Except in my 62 ford galaxy.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Oil drain plug torque

here are the torque specs from the 06 shop manual for the 05/06/07/08 with the 2.3L

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
engine specs - hybrid.pdf (91.2 KB, 3199 views)
Old 08-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information. In the past I had mechanics over torgue my wheels so I could not change a flat. As soon as I get home from having new tires put on a car, I check the torque and make sure I can remove the wheels with the tools that come with the vehicle. Auto tranmission drain plugs (chevy pickup) that could not be removed without damaging the pan. It may be over-kill, but I always use my torgue wrench.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HiCap
Thanks for the information. In the past I had mechanics over torgue my wheels so I could not change a flat. As soon as I get home from having new tires put on a car, I check the torque and make sure I can remove the wheels with the tools that come with the vehicle. Auto tranmission drain plugs (chevy pickup) that could not be removed without damaging the pan. It may be over-kill, but I always use my torgue wrench.
Even torqued correctly I've had that problem. I knew they were torqued correctly because my father and I used the torque wrench ourselves.

The problem is often rust on the lugs and on the hub, basically trying to rust itself attached to the car.

We always use a grease.... I can't remember the name of it... its got grey metal mixed in with it so it looks silver colored, almost like paint. We put that on the lugs and on the back of the hub to prevent the problem then torque the bugger down tight.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
We always use a grease.... I can't remember the name of it... its got grey metal mixed in with it so it looks silver colored, almost like paint. We put that on the lugs and on the back of the hub to prevent the problem then torque the bugger down tight.
That sounds like "anti-seize" compound. Very useful stuff, as you described.

http://www.meyerplastics.com/adhesiv...e_comp_sht.htm