Brakes making a click when stopped

Old 10-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Brakes making a click when stopped

I've just noticed my my 2006 Escape is making a clicking sound for a few seconds after I come to a complete stop. It sounds as thought the regenerative braking switch is clicking on and off under the vehicle.

Anyone else notice this? Is it normal?

Old 10-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Early Adopter
Default Re: Brakes making a click when stopped

Well, there is no switch for regenerative braking (it's all done in software) so it's likely something else. Is this when you shut down? Might just be the exhaust system cooling down...

Originally Posted by Robert_Detjen
I've just noticed my my 2006 Escape is making a clicking sound for a few seconds after I come to a complete stop. It sounds as thought the regenerative braking switch is clicking on and off under the vehicle.

Anyone else notice this? Is it normal?

Old 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

Nope - it's just making this clicking noise for a few seconds after we come to a complete stop - even when the ICE has been off for a while. It's coming to a complete stop that triggers it - and it lasts for 8 to 10 seconds.

We had a similar sound from a Ford Expedition rear AC vent switch that would cycle. It was trying to close, but couldn't do it. It would wait a second and try again...

Old 10-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Crazy Hybrid Enthusiast

I have a Prius and if I press down hard on my brakes I also get a clicking sound... Its almost a beep... While we don't have the same cars this could all be part of the same situation

Old 10-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Megageek

The only thing I notice when coming to a stop is the fuel sloshing back and forth in the tank.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

Anyone have other suggestions on this?

I have been noticing the same when I come to a stop. The click also happens when I start forward again.

I tried without regen (shift into N) and no click. It seems to happen only under regen braking. Which eliminates the actual brakes.

-R

Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rdinatal
Anyone have other suggestions on this?

I have been noticing the same when I come to a stop. The click also happens when I start forward again.

I tried without regen (shift into N) and no click. It seems to happen only under regen braking. Which eliminates the actual brakes.

-R
Thats not entirely true... It MOSTLY eliminates the actual (mechanical) brakes but the "actual" brakes DO clamp down at the end.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

TeeSter, thank you for your reply.

I was in N and tested the same braking technique as I did in normal regen mode. The difference was that in D the click was evident, in N it was not. The mechanical brakes are used in both instances, at different times in the stopping process. I also tried a slow coast multiple times in N to where the calipers would normally take over, no noise.

At first thought I suspected loose or nonexistent rattle clips on the pads. After inspection they are there and the pads are tight with the normal movement the clips would allow.

It seems to be coming from the axle but I have not confirmed that yet.

-R

Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Could this be a CV joint going bad? Do you get any clicking during tight turns. A failing CV would be more apt to click during a regen slowdown since the shafts are "loaded" as opposed to when the mechanical brakes slow and the load is all in the calipers, rotors and suspension. Maybe check the CV boots for cracks/tears?

Old 09-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Does the click seem to correspond with the ICE shutting off? Although I've not noticed this in my FEH, I've seen cars that 'click' a few times after turning them off... the sound of the metal contracting on the Catalytic Converters (kind of like a light popping)...

Just a thought...