Side view mirror popped loose

Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08
Default Side view mirror popped loose

I heard a loud bang (I might have hit the mirror of a parked car on a narrow road but I don't think so). The result was the right side view mirror popped out of the mirror shell. It pivots on the bottom with the adjustment unit (which looks and works OK). There is a tab on top of the mirror which seems to go over the top of the adjustment unit and there are two sets of dual plastic pieces that appear to go into the holes in the adjustment unit. Nothing seems broken except that when you push the top back in, it doesn't stay. Thoughts?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Side view mirror popped loose

One thought: "Warranty".

Old 01-11-2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
One thought: "Warranty".
I was hoping that, before I get a chance to take it in, someone might have an idea as to what happened, why, or how to pop it back in and save me a trip to the dealer.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpezz,

There should be two "claws" at the top of the mirror and two at the bottom. You should push the two top claws into place and then push the bottom ones in. If the claws on the back of your mirror do not have the "hook" portion, you will need to have it replaced.

One question though, if you "might" have hit a parked car, why didn't you stop and CHECK??? If you did hit one, you could have at least left your number and name on the windshield of the other car.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 01-12-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 AM

Your first sentence says it all. You DID hit the parked car (the reason the mirror popped out). It was my parked car you hit, since you also popped my mirror off. Thanks for leaving a note! (just pretending I was the owner of the vehicle you hit)

These mirrors do not just jump out of their footings, it takes an impact. It will NOT be warranty and I am SURE there is a mark of some kind on the other side of your mirror to justify that with the warranty administrator at your Toyota dealer. Next time, please do the right thing and leave the note.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by 50th Anniversary Camry
Your first sentence says it all. You DID hit the parked car (the reason the mirror popped out). It was my parked car you hit, since you also popped my mirror off. Thanks for leaving a note! (just pretending I was the owner of the vehicle you hit)

These mirrors do not just jump out of their footings, it takes an impact. It will NOT be warranty and I am SURE there is a mark of some kind on the other side of your mirror to justify that with the warranty administrator at your Toyota dealer. Next time, please do the right thing and leave the note.
Actually, I did stop. I walked back but saw no markings on any of the cars I could possibly have hit. I also checked the ground as I really had thought at the time I must have hit something that bounced up from the ground because it seemed I was well away from the vehicles. However, there was a mark on my mirror but nothing on the ground and the other vehicles had no damage. I wrote here I thought it was possibly a vehicle because of the lack of any other cause. My wife, riding next to me made no comment about being too close and she would have had I been.

I do admit that I only walked by each vehicle to see for damage but did not actually put my hands on their mirrors as it was pretty cold. It just seemed so improbable.

Last edited by jpezz; 01-12-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 PM

While I did find a scratch on the back of the mirror on my TCH, I can't see the kind of damage that would be caused by a collision. In any case, it appears I should have pushed harder to snap it back in as there was no damage to the plastic pieces that latch. I noticed that the right seemed to partially engage but the left side of the mirror had no sound. When I pushed hard enough on the left side too, I could hear them both engage and it snapped right back in place and works fine.