Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Old 11-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Hi Folks,

I've noticed on my 08 FEH, when stopped or parked, with the ignition on; a clicking and buzzing sound coming from behind the dash. It is not always there, but seems to be there more often these days, even with HVAC and radio powered off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Darren
'08 FEH

Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Does this happen continuously or just for a few seconds and then stops? Are you familiar with the sound of the brake system charging(key on)/discharging(key off) itself?

Do you have the NAV system? Any chance this is the NAV DVD system reading the disc?

I'm just trying to locate the general sound location so we can better help you diagnose the source.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

It is much quieter than the brake charge/discharge noise, it is a continuous but random sounding series of quiet buzzing and clicking. Hard to isolate other than behind the dash, but definitely inside the car. Don't have the NAV system, and the radio/cd is powered off.

Sometimes if I cycle the key off, then on (but not start), the noise stops.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Others may be able to help more but the only thing that comes to my mind is a HCAV selector door motor that's acting up. Does air come out the locations that it is supposed to when you go through the different output options? Does changing those settings or turning off the fan/AC make a difference?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

It does make the noise regardless if I have the climate control on or off, but I've not tried to change the output selectors yet... I'll check that out and get back to you.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:16 PM
MrT
Enthusiast

If it's any consolation, my '08 FEH is doing the same thing. Sounds to me like a cd transport or hard drive hunting for something. I also do not have the NAV and have noticed it both with and without the radio on. Haven't paid attention to the status on the climate controls when it's happening, but they're generally on auto.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Enthusiast

So I played with this a bit, and changing the output selectors does not change the noise at all. Now it seems to be getting louder, but that just might be that I'm noticing it more because I'm listening for it...

Off to the dealer I guess... this should be a painful discussion!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:45 PM

Did you ever figure it out? The wife hears it sometimes, I've only heard it once, but going to get the wrench looked at today so if I cna say fix this ______ too.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

Did not get it figured out... I did rule out just about anything and everything I could think of... seems to have no link to HVAC, Vent Mixer, CD/Changer, Radio.

Has not gotten better or worse... and I haven't gotten it looked at by the dealer.

Let me know what you find out.

Cheers,

Darren

Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 AM

I mentioned it when I droped it off, but doubt they will even try to figure it out, I can see "Could not Dupe" on the reciept

I've only heard it once, maybe twice, but turn everything off, radio, hvac (I don't have nav) and it continues, luckily it only lasts about a min or 2 and the radio has a feature to make it go away (grab vol ****, turn clockwise! ). I don't think it's the driveshave label mentioned in another thread as we were comming to a stop & it continued even after stopped.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands