How hard to change the oil in the HCH?

Old 02-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Enthusiast
Question How hard to change the oil in the HCH?

I always change the oil in my old 94 Corolla and the 04 Sienna, wondering how difficult in the Civic and/or the hybrid; and how often if using conventional oil (3k miles or 3 months?)

Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner
Default Re: How hard to change the oil in the HCH?

Easy to change once you get the HCH high enough to open the plastic air shield under the engine - there is no conventional oil for the hybrid 1.3 liter engine - only mobil 0w-20 or honda 0-w20 - about $8.00 qt - takes about 3.5 qts. follow the mileage minder for oil changes. I always change with 10% left and replace the oil filter every change.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Enthusiast

plastic air shield: how many screws, very easy to remove?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Two 10m.m. bolts and 2 or 4 fasteners (plastic type). Be carefull with the plastic! Go as close to O% as you can or a convienent time for you to change. Try and get the best FE from the oil as you do with your gas! Hal

Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 AM
2nd Hybrid Owner

It is part #7 in this parts picture - the bolts go in the front and it hinges down at the crease near the 20 ( follow the 7 to the 20 that is the crease/hinge )
the #24 are the plastic clips ( use nail / tack puller to remove ) and the #19 are the 2 bolts I think I remove 6 clips and 2 bolts - you need about 13 inches to open the hinge fully.

don't forget to replace the crush washer on the oil pan drain each time. buy them on the internet and they are cheap .25 in a dozen or $1.50 for one at your local (st)dealer.

Attached Thumbnails How hard to change the oil in the HCH?-image1.jpg  

Last edited by larryr; 02-28-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:07 AM

Geek, what specific Civic model and year are you asking about?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by larryr
only mobil 0w-20 or honda 0-w20 - about $8.00 qt
Yikes, where you buying it? I get it $6/qt at both NAPA and Wal-Mart.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

you'll call me nuts.....

I don't have the car yet but I'll be going to a dealer tomorrow and think may come home with one, since I'm so heptic about oil change frequency, I was asking, thanks for the feedback....

Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 PM

The regular gen 8 civic is pretty straightforward: it uses cheaper oil and doesn't have the engine undershield to contend with. The gen 8 civic hybrid uses pricier 0W20 engine oil. From my dealer it's typically $8.50CAN per liter. If you're sticking with the maintenance minder interval I would just use the Honda oil, and not bother chasing after other 0W20 sources. The Civic Hybrid's spec'd oil qty's are:

With filter change:
3.0 liter
3.2 qt

Without filter change:
2.8 liter
3.2 qt

At overhaul:
3.8 liter
4.0 qt

Note, these qty's will get the level to the full line on diptsick, and you do not want to exceed that. The diff. btwn. full and low lines is around 1 liter/qt. Anywhere between those two lines is fine. Bottom line: 3 liters (or quarts) are suffice for any and all changes. Don't let the dealership snow you into buying 4 liters/qts, it's overfill, detrimental to mileage, and could damage the engine if really overfilled.

Note also, Honda's spec is to change oil filter only at alternate oil changes. Harold (a member) drains and re-installs the filter at these changes, kind of best of both worlds.

As far as I know, all gen 8 have the Maintenance Minder which tells you when to do the change: Service A is oil change only, Service B is oil and filter.

With the Hybrid you will have to deal with the plastic undershield for oil changes. You can raise the front end only the usual 6~8 inches that can be achieved with ramps or regular floor jack (say 2 ton model) with jackstands. This is doable, but you will either have to remove the entire engine shield (5 clips plus 2 bolts total), or swing the front portion down at hinge point partially (2 clips plus 2 bolts), and sneak the drain pan up into the gap.

Or you raise the whole car with heavier jack with more travel, coupled with heavier duty jackstands. 12" is more-or-less the minimum needed to swing the front portion of engine shield down. 14~15" is better, allowing you to fully swing the front part of shield down. It allows you more room, and there are less fasteners to take off on the engine shield. But it is more labour to raise the whole car, and inherently more dangerous. Be careful: put some spare tires or similar under there for insurance.

The step-by-step of an oil change is outlined in the Owners Manual, except for the drain plug torque, I think. That torque is:

29 lb/ft

for the Hybrid. Do replace the washer with each change, it's not that expensive.

The torque for the filter is:

8.7 lb/ft, or 3/4 turn.

There are marks on the filter to help with the 3/4 turn method. You can get a socket for the filter removal, or use an aftermarket band type.

FWIW, the filter is actually reachable from above, as you stand at the front bumper, for the first time in a long time, in my experience. But it's a moot point, you pretty much have to crawl under anyway

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 02-28-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added some, clarified
Old 02-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Do replace the washer with each change, it's not that expensive....

...You can get a socket for the filter removal, or use an aftermarket band type.
I'm up to (I think) four free washers now... I've asked to buy one whenever I get new wiper inserts, and they just give me a couple. The cap for the filter with a nut welded on is *WAAY* easier to work with than an aftermarket band. It's a little pricey, but well worth it IMHO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How hard to change the oil in the HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands