Help with Auto stop that is not working at all.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help with Auto stop that is not working at all.

Hi everyone. I need help. I recently bought a used 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with 25k miles and no matter what I do I can not get the "auto-stop" feature to work.

My battery ranges between 6-8 bars.
I live in Houston, TX the temperature outside is 70 degrees.
I've driven it with the A/C turned off.
I disconnected the front battery for 10 minutes to try resetting any settings.
I've tried coasting on neutral when coming to a stop.

I've driven it for the past 100 miles and my MPG average is at 26 mpg!
I do well on mileage until I come to a stop. Since the auto stop feature does not come on I can see my MPG average slowly dwindle in front of my eyes. Today it went from 41.2 to 38.2 at a single stop light. I really don't know what else to do.

I should also mention that I noticed that the battery does not charge when I hit the brakes but instead only when I slow down or coast.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help with Auto stop that is not working at all.

do you see charge when you switch the CVT to S?

are you sure the defroster-defogger is off?

ks

Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Try running with the climate control on Auto at a reasonable temp setting! Maybe 80 d or something like that. The IMA system needs to be cooled in order to operate properly. Make sure the vents on either side of the rear seat centre head rest are not blocked. This is where the air is directed over the IMA parts. No auto stop with defrost function as well. Check some older post as you are not the first to expearance this. H

Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Do you get any charging when you use the brakes?

Our autostop/regen charging quit once, it was some kind of sensor that needed replacing.

Edit : I just read that you do not charge while braking. They had to replace some kind of "starter motor sensor" I was confused as to why that would cause the problem as it started fine hehe.

Anyway, it doesn't trip any IMA or braking error codes, but causes the battery to not regen while braking and the autostop to quit working.

Last edited by Ontario07Civic; 03-12-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

Also check that the 'Mode' setting on the climate controls is NOT set to the position where it blows air to both your windshield and to your feet. With this setting, the auto-stop also won't work.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It sounds to me like a brake position switch. If you're not doing regen, you are using the brakes and not recapturing much energy. It would also explain why you're not auto-stopping. If the car thinks that the brakes aren't pressed down enough, they will not auto stop. Does your brake light come on when you press the brakes? Although, that could be a different sensor. But the no regen when braking and no auto stop sure will hurt your MPG! Good luck.