HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Wiper Blade Sticker Shock

Old 01-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Wiper Blade Sticker Shock

Decided to replace my wiper blades yesterday. I usually buy the complete assembly for wiper blades on my other vehicles, snap out snap in. Got prices from two local dealerships both over $100 for a set of blades (ouch!!!) Went with the wiper refills instead ($14). Took a little more time as it is a little tedious, remove old blade, take out metal strips and reinstall. Well worth the cost savings though.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wiper Blade Sticker Shock

Thanks for the heads up. I would hope there's cheaper options out there for a Civic for Gawds sake.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default you can make the blades last longer by

Cleaning them periodically cleaning them with a strong cleaner like carburetor cleaner. Wet a paper towel with the cleaner, and rub up and down the blade. You will be amazed at how much black gunk will come off. Clean your blades once a month or more and they will last much longer.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Someone else on here said they were in for their 1-year maintenance at about 15k-20k on the odometer and said their wipers were just about shot/done/kaput/finished. I am at 24k after 25 weeks and have no issues with the wiper blades and they've been through the last month of winter (wiping snow and some ice). I was wondering if others had time-based input and can confirm if the wipers last about a year instead of distance (I use mine at least a few times a week so maybe the routine use keeps them more usable too).

Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default kaput = may just need cleaning

Today's wiper blade inserts are very durable, but can give the illusion of being damaged or worn out simply because all of the gunk that they have cleared from the windshield is now stuck on the blade. A blade that is used at least once a month and cleaned regularly can last several years.

Now that is not to say that a blade cannot get worn or damaged, but before you replace a blade, try cleaning it throughly.

If your blades are streaking, clean, then replace.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

I just bought a pair of aftermarket blades for our other car and noticed that it came with a package of 'blade optimizer' that is supposed to 'extend blade life and performance'. It says it contains isopropyl alcohol, and it looks and smells suspiciously like a plain medical alcohol wipe.

I tried one on my HCH II and it did take off a bunch of gunk off the blades and it doesn't seem to streak as much now. I'll keep using alcohol pads periodically to see if it really extends the blade life.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would think that the alcohol would dry out the rubber, causing them to crack earlier. No?

Old 01-31-2007, 06:27 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Cleaning and conditioning the wiper blade on a regular basis is one thing that really works. The next level is to treat and seal the windshield with a water repelling product. With it on, iIt is amazing how rarely you actually use your wipers even in the heavier downpours. Of course, the wipers still must be used for freezing rain and snow.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-31-2007, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

The biggest factor that I think has always affected the life of my wiper blades is the few months of 100+ degree weather that we experience every year. After 1 season of this they seem to start cracking and separating. Thats why I am just in the habit of replacing them yearly. Its a lot better than getting into your car on a dark rainy night only to find out that your vision is impaired because of a $14 set of wiper blades.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
The next level is to treat and seal the windshield with a water repelling product. With it on, iIt is amazing how rarely you actually use your wipers even in the heavier downpours.

Agreed. Rain-X is great. In fact, the heavier the rain, the better it works!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper Blade Sticker Shock

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands