TCH 07 key battery out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default TCH 07 key battery out?

I think the battery on my 07 TCH has run out.

It's saying key not detected even when I have the key and engine won't start when I press the power button.

I almost had to tow it but I tried and tried and eventually the engine started.

Is the battery inside the key replacable at local toyota dealer?

Is there a battery inside the key fob somewhere?

What about the actual key that is in the keyfob?

I took it out of the keyfob and opened the door but couldn't find any holes where I can stick the key and start the engine.

help pls. I have lost the other pair of keyfob.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:59 PM
HY POD
Default Re: TCH 07 key battery out?

You can start your car by placing the key fob up against the power button. Then pressing, Power ON, while still holding the key up against the button.

hope that helps !

Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmy1
I think the battery on my 07 TCH has run out.

It's saying key not detected even when I have the key and engine won't start when I press the power button.

I almost had to tow it but I tried and tried and eventually the engine started.

Is the battery inside the key replacable at local toyota dealer?

Is there a battery inside the key fob somewhere?

What about the actual key that is in the keyfob?

I took it out of the keyfob and opened the door but couldn't find any holes where I can stick the key and start the engine.

help pls. I have lost the other pair of keyfob.
When my fob battery started to go dead on my 07TCH, there was a warning on the dash that said key battery low, or something like that. It went on like that for a few weeks before i could no longer open the locked door from outside by just pulling on the handle. There is a battery in the fob that you can replace easily. No need for the dealer to do it.

Last edited by jbollt; 05-25-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Remove the metal key, there is a little slot on the fob where you can use a small screw driver to pry the fob apart. The little circuit board is just fitted into one side of the plastic fob case, ease it out, a small coin battery is on the other side.

I'm very used to replacing the battery. My fob malfunctioned and began eating batteries at a rate of 1 every 2 or 3 weeks. I went thru about 6 over a period of a few months before I had the dealer replace it under warranty.

As already stated, the fob can always start the car simply by holding it close to the power button, and of course the metal key can always open the door, so a dead battery will never leave you stranded as long as you are aware of this procedure...

Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

if I can replace the dead battery with a new battery, where can I buy a new keyfob battery?

website or price info? I can get at a toyota dealer?

would cost more if the toyota dealer guy replaces it?

also, what's the actual key in the keyfob is used for? only to be able to open the door? by the way, my second pair of key fob which i used before for sometimes is also not working. says key not detected.

thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 AM

While the fob can start the car when pressed up to the power button, I was told that the Toyota logo needs to be held up to the button, so make sure you place it properly.
Every question you have is discussed thoroughly in your owner's manual, so you might want to spend a few moments reviewing it to learn more about it.
Manual key is only for the door.
Sounds like both your fobs batteries have dies.
Make sure you don't put the key next to a charging cell phone or fluorescent bulb as it shortens the life of the fob battery.
Radio Shack, etc. sells the battery.

Last edited by haroldo; 05-26-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 AM
old fart

I once parked in an area that somehow interfered with the fob and i used the key to get in and held the toyota emblem up to the power button and away i went.i was aware that it would work but never tried it till then amazing isnt it?
never had the problem happen again,not sure why the car didnt see the fob but then again not sure how the power button sees the emblem.im like a kid with a new toy.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 AM

There are reports about interference due to interference with radio waves, etc.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

My TCH 07 primary "key" FOB battery went out several months ago (Tips on getting the car started are already in this thread and in the manual). I was unable to find the recommended battery and simply used the spare pending my next oil change/25K service.....which happened today.

The point: my dealer took care of it as a warranty item (without a request from me to do so). Don't know if that's just there smart service department or Toyota practice. BTW, my car is just has been in service since Nov 2007.

Good Luck.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:26 PM

I saw a sign for keyless batteries for sale at the Walmart auto counter. Probably many other Auto stores would carry them. Radio Shack and other electronic stores may have them.

Call and see if they stock the CR1632 battery.

Quick Reply: TCH 07 key battery out?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands