converting/driving Hybrid on gas only

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default converting/driving Hybrid on gas only

Is it possible to drive the tahoe hybrids on gas only by somehow turning the hybrid system off?
If one incounters a starting problem as I have read on the forum, can you just use the Tahoe as a regular Gas engine vehicle until the issue is resolved?
I was also disspointed to learn, that one cannot use the electrical system if you run out of gas

Is it possible to convert the hybrid vehicle to gas only vehicle if one decides to do that?

any input is appreciated
Thanks in advance

Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: converting/driving Hybrid on gas only

Highly doubt a conversion would be possible without major bucks. For one thing, the 12V system is (supposedly) charged through the 300V system so the electronics appear to be VERY INTERTWINED (is that a word???). The air conditioning system is run off of an independent electric motor, not the gas engine, so that's another piece of major surgery to swap. The transmission in the truck is where the two electric motors are (inside) so you may be able to swap that out for a standard Tahoe trans and that's at least another few grand right there. I'm fairly certain you'd be better off selling the Hybrid and just purchasing a "regular" Tahoe. Oh, and don't forget, if you choose to do the surgery I'd guarantee your warranty would be waaaay out the window

As for running solely on ICE, I didn't see that listed in the manual (and I actually read it cover to cover for once). You may be able to hack into the system somehow but I haven't read of anyone doing that in this or the various other Tahoe forums out there.

Last edited by CPMS; 07-07-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:18 AM

CPMS,

Thanks again for your reply.
can you direct me to other tahoe hybrid forums pls.
The thing is that I will be using my car in Jordan, and the hybrid vehicles are tax exempted here, so they are much cheaper than the regular tahoe
but this is the first shipment the dealer is ordering, and I doubt it he has any expereince in haybrid engines, so it is kind of a risk I am taking if I start having some issues with teh Tahoe hybrid. was wondering if it is possible to drive it on gas only if hybrid goes down for any reason, specially I have read about a lot of braking and snd starting issue.
Have you had any problems with yours so far? what is teh production date of you vehical if you have it available please

Thanks agian

Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intertwine
Intertwine
transitive verb
: to unite by twining one with another
intransitive verb: to twine about one another ; also : to become mutually involved

Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM

There isn't a special "engine" in the Tahoe Hybrid, it is the standard L76 6.0L VVT with active fuel management. It is just calibrated to run with the hybrid system and has the electric a/c and power steering. Every Chevy, Cadillac and GMC technician should know this engine inside and out.
The transmission is serviced as a module right now. I doubt they would try to fix one. They would just replace it. I haven't heard of any trans issues, but that is where the magic happens. That trans was jointly developed by GM, Chrysler, Mercedes and BMW. I'm pretty sure it is bullet-proof. I live on the side of a mountain and it pulls my boat up the driveway without any issues, even creeping at idle and the (very nasty) backing up uphill.
For the electronics, they are all new on the 300V side, but they seem solid and have been tested in Death Valley, CA, which makes Jordan seem like Iceland.

Also, I have one important advantage of the hybrid over all other trucks:
Air Conditioning blowing cold air with the engine off! I love that feature!!!

Best of luck on your decision.

CPMS, how about the links to the "other forums"?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 AM

fjungman
Thanks a lot for your feedback

Old 07-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

I don't see any possibility of running it "engine only". The entire drivetrain is computer controlled, and that would have to programmed in. I don't think out Environmental Protection Agency would allow that, unless they ran a completely separate certification. Also I think any "starting problem" will or already has been solved. If you think about it, you can't start any modern engine without a running computer, and the Hybrid is no different in that respect.

Michael

Old 07-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks Michael for your feedback

Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default point of order...

the engine IS the same build but it is DE-TUNED to produce less HP and return better fuel mileage. I expect to see after market tuners tap into this and start selling RE-TUNING kits, but I bet your fuel mileage would suffer although it will be fun to see what comes out of the private sector.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks Jet1 for your input

Quick Reply: converting/driving Hybrid on gas only

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands