700 Miles per Tank

Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default 700 Miles per Tank

Is anyone else getting close to 700 miles a tank with their fusion. I am getting about 620 with the MGP readout at 40MPG. Even with an average of 49mpg for 18 miles the distance to empty seamed to top out at 650 miles left.

Maybe the MPG gague is off.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 700 Miles per Tank

If you do the math with the tank size and the in city EPA rated mpg's this is where the 700 miles per tank comes from.
Since we are more often than not filling up before the tank is bone dry we will be getting less per tank on the 39 miles per gal EPA ave mpg rating.

If you are a hyper-miler you may just get those 700 miles per tank or even better.

As for gauge tolerances, doing the math here too will identify if this is a problem or not.

Gauge says I have 20 miles until I am empty, so I decide to fill up. It also says I have returned 41.5 ave mpg's. I fill up and it takes 15.5 gallons. I traveled 625 miles on those 15.5 gallons. I hand calculate my real mpg's at 40.32 mpg. Miles to empty is off about 2.5 gallons, if it were to say I was empty than it would be 2 gallons off. And the 41.5 ave indicator is also off about 1.2mpg versus the hand calculation.

Both of the automated displays are pretty close but still off a bit about 3% for the ave mileage and about 14% for the fuel remaining warning.

This is a purely hypothetical example and I used numbers grabbed from the air to illustrate with.

Remember one will never drain every drop of gas from a tank as the fuel pick up is above the bottom of the tank so as to not gulp up tank sediment.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

When my light comes on, I typically only can put in a bit over 14 gallons to fill. It surprised me that I'd have almost 3 gallons left when the light comes on! Allen's tip about tire pressure made quite a different in fuel economy for me.

I don't consider myself either a hot rodder (any more) or hypermiler, but 46-52 mpg indicated is not uncommon. The indicated mpg has never been off more then 2 for a whole tank when calculated, usually about 1-1.5mpg overstated. The last 2000 miles shows an average approaching 47. Even highway speeds can return good mileage if speed is moderate (60-65) and hills are few. I find that the FFH seems to not like up-slopes. Uses battery fast or poor mpg. They're definitely geared for level roads.

Bob

Old 08-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Bob,
What did you change your tire pressure. I just got my FFH about 2 weeks ago and havent had a chance to check mine.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

I set pressures to 40 all the way around (using an accurate gauge: not a "pencil" gauge). Max sidewall pressures on the Michelins is 44, so I'm well within boundaries there, and I didn't want to shake the car to pieces. It also increases responsiveness (turn-in, etc.) due to stiffer sidewalls. I came out of a Mini Cooper S (the "Bigkart"), though, so to me, the ride is still pretty compliant.

Bob

Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

First mod I did to our new FFH was to air up the tires to 44 psi max. It came from the dealer at 33psi. Ride is more than fine and handling is awesome. Best short leg 58.7mpg over 13.2 miles. This included 1/2 of it on the freeway.

Second mod I did was dark tint the windows. Much cooler and thus less AC use which should return better mpg's. It also makes the platinum white tri-coat look sweet. IMO

In a new non broken in ICE expect mpg's to be lower at first and then rise and level off over time. IMO it will be around 5,000 to 10,000 miles before it settles down. I will add full synthetic in about 2-3 thousand miles. This will reduce friction a bit and protect far better.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Enthusiast

What's the most anyone has gone past MTE=0? In my 08 Escape, I knew that I could get at least 20 miles after it hit 0 as long as I was getting my normal mpg. I know someone on here tested it and found that there was at least 1 gallon left after MTE=0.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Richmond72
What's the most anyone has gone past MTE=0? In my 08 Escape, I knew that I could get at least 20 miles after it hit 0 as long as I was getting my normal mpg. I know someone on here tested it and found that there was at least 1 gallon left after MTE=0.
In the 2005-07 Escape Hybrid, there was 1.3 gallons left when MTE =0. I can't remember if this is true for the 2008 version. GaryG tested his 09 Escape Hybrid and found .7 gallons is left when MTE=0. I know nothing about the 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm getting around 690, but I am not super disciplined for hypermiling. That is extrapolating out from the actual fuel economy plus remaining fuel in the tank when the low fuel warning comes on. I'm sure it will do over 700 with a little more obsessiveness! It's been hot out for a while here and that is cutting into mpg. I am running tires at 40 psi. I don't want to wear out the center of the tires before their time either.

Noel

Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast

The humidity and required AC are cutting my mileage to about 40 for typical trip.

Remember when microwaves were fast and 40 mpg was pretty darned good?

Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 700 Miles per Tank

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands