Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

I've tried multiple times, without success, to get the Homelink to work. I don't think it's a faulty Homelink unit in my TCH. I've read the manual, and tried to program it both ways (depressing the button on my remote AND pressing and letting go every 2 seconds until the Homelink blinks - slow blinking occurs after 20 seconds or so). When I press the newly programmed Homelink button while beside the receiver on the wall of our garage, nothing happens. I live in a condo with a common garage door for all residents. Does it matter if I'm beside the receiver (as opposed to pointing directly at)? Why won't this thing work? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Anyone know how to rectify?

Old 10-19-2006, 01:12 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

First thing, I remember you being in Canada. The manual gives separate Canadian instructions which never worked for me, both on my Sienna and the TCH. Never really made sense, I really don't think garage door openers are any different in Canada then the US. So my first advice is, ignore the Canadian instructions. I used the "hold the button" method for rolling code systems while holding the remote near the homelink unit. I remember I had to hold the button for quite a while before it registered, but worked first time on my TCH. Took about 3 tries to get it right on my Sienna, but I probably was not patience enough.

If it's programmed correctly, you should be able to use it from a good distance away. I can trigger my door from about 5 houses down which is around 250 ft.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

well, this is just a thought....my house is in a neighborhood that has an entrance gate, that is operated by remote control provided by the homeowner's association. I tried many times, in vain, to get the Homelink to operate that gate. I finaly called Homelink, and the gate company...it seems that the gate, (because it is a common gate for many folks?) is not able to be operated by Homelink. I hope your situation isn't the same.

Last edited by jbollt; 10-19-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

The TCH is a bit more complex to set than a Sienna. I used the hand held remote control unit of my garage opener while sitting in the car aiming to the HomeLink near by the rear view mirror by depressing the homelink button and prior to that I had activated the learn button on my garage door opener unit (lets you do it within 30 secs) and it worked fine. On the other hand my Sienna was easier did not have to use the hand held remote control unit of my garage opener...

Old 10-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hey, something to check. I have craftsman remotes. They have a roaming code. I hade to match the transmitter once programmed to the garage door opener unit. There is a red button on the unit.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

If yours is of the random code generators then programming from the remote will not work. You need to go to the main unit and press the red button on it and within 30 seconds press the homelink button in the car

Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have two newer Genie style openers with 'rolling codes' in my garage. They are supposed to change each time u use the opener. I had to first hold the remote control to the homelink unit as called out int the car;s owners guide, and then press the 'learn' button on the genie unit until it flashed and then within 30 seconds - press the homelink button in the car -- worked the first time .. Had to do it twice - once for each unit.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

Thats certainly not because its a common gate for many folks.. mine works fine with an entrance gate operated by 108 families.

Originally Posted by jbollt
well, this is just a thought....my house is in a neighborhood that has an entrance gate, that is operated by remote control provided by the homeowner's association. I tried many times, in vain, to get the Homelink to operate that gate. I finaly called Homelink, and the gate company...it seems that the gate, (because it is a common gate for many folks?) is not able to be operated by Homelink. I hope your situation isn't the same.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by montush
Thats certainly not because its a common gate for many folks.. mine works fine with an entrance gate operated by 108 families.
I wish I could operate my gate with the Homelink. On our gate, I think it has something to do with the type of signal the remotes/gate opener uses. They (the gate company) has the ability to de-activate (from their office) any particular remote, and each remote has a unique serial number registered to each homeowner. I suppose this is a security measure to protect the community if a remote is lost or stolen.

I don't thnik this is the original posters issue, but just wanted to throw this in as a possibility.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's been many sleeps since I did this, so I'm having a hard time remembering how I did this...

I also had a heck of a time programming the button in the TCH to open my garage door (a Genie rolling code opener). I assiduously (I thought) followed the (US) instructions several times and could not get it to work. Then I think I cycled the Power button on the dash after going through the coding cycle, and it worked! Maybe that will work for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands