A Cabin Air Filter (CAF) Replacement "How To" Guide For The Accord Hybrid - HAH

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default A Cabin Air Filter (CAF) Replacement "How To" Guide For The Accord Hybrid - HAH

This guide and the pictures were done on my 2005 HAH. I believe the other year HAHs are the same, but I've never confirmed it.

The CAF is supposed to be changed out every 15K or 30K, depending on your conditions. I found 15K was too soon, even in dusty old Arizona. But 30K was too late. So, I'd suggest checking your CAF at 15K and judging for yourself how much longer you can go before replacing it.

Your CAF is located behind the glovebox. To get to it, you need to open your glovebox and let it sit open all the way. Empty out your glovebox. If you don't, you'll be cleaning up the contents of your glovebox from the floor when you're done replacing your CAF. Next step is to look on the right side and unhook the dampener. Next, squeeze the rear of the glovebox sides inwards to be able to let the glovebox swing all the way down. From here, you should see this:

Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Default Re: A Cabin Air Filter (CAF) Replacement "How To" Guide For The Accord Hybrid - HAH

Looking inside, you'll see a tray with latches on both sides. Press those latches inwards and start sliding the tray out.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Default Re: A Cabin Air Filter (CAF) Replacement "How To" Guide For The Accord Hybrid - HAH

This is what it looks like with the tray completely removed.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Here's what a CAF looks like, dirty and clean, side-by-side.

I have about 28K miles on this CAF. I didn't mean to go this long between replacements, but I've been so busy lately that I've just forgotten to check/replace it.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM

When you put your new CAF into the tray, make sure you follow the arrow on the filter as the air is meant to flow through in one direction. The air flow is down. If you forget, the tray has an arrow on it also that says "air flow".

To finish the job, reverse the proceedures above. Slide the tray in, click into place, rotate the glovebox up and let it snap into place, replace the dampener bar, then close the glovebox.

How much does a dealership charge for this job? The last I checked, $120! Can you believe it?! I think they charge so much because most people are too intimidated to do any sort of maintenance themselves. Not to mention, most people are unaware of how easy it is to replace their own CAF, or even know where it is!

I don't recall how much I spent for the CAF, but I think it was about $20 from www.handaaccessories.com. I generally buy several intervals worth of maintenance items so I can combine the shipping and save even more with their already very low prices.

Good luck with your own DIY maintenance. And, as always, YMMV.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the excellent instructions on replacing the CAF, Bar10dah. It makes an obscure job simple.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nice directions.

and that's what the dmpener bar looks like-no wonder my box is falling open, so to speak.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

The CAF are about $29. at the stealership for my 2003 HCH. I purchased a good quality furnace filter for $20 and have made eight filters out of the original furnace filter so far. I can get at least four more. I change them twice a year now. Takes about ten minutes to cut one to size. I purchased a furnace filter with a wire mesh on it to hold it together better. Not sure if the wire mesh is needede though.