NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Old 11-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

I came accross this website while searching for the override function. Apperantly they sell hacks for the NAV system to automate the "I Agree" screen, use the full Bluetooth functions of the phones (automatic override) and even unblock the video capabailites using external source like video ipod . Even though TCH is not listed, other toyota models including prius are listed. I have sent them an email inquiring about the TCH, and have not heard back yet, if and when I get a reply back I'll post.

http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm

Just wondering, what you guys think.....

Old 11-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Do you see anywhere that they say it works with TCH (i.e. 2007 Camry's), I don't.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I already said that TCH is not listed and I have emailed them an inquiry about that, but since all the toyotas use the same NAV made by Denso..... I know Prius uses the same NAV, the button layout is little diffferent but the software is same and the DVD is same and is inter-changable with TCH (I have tried this already).

Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by jagbagri
I came accross this website while searching for the override function. Apperantly they sell hacks for the NAV system to automate the "I Agree" screen, use the full Bluetooth functions of the phones (automatic override) and even unblock the video capabailites using external source like video ipod . Even though TCH is not listed, other toyota models including prius are listed. I have sent them an email inquiring about the TCH, and have not heard back yet, if and when I get a reply back I'll post.

http://www.coastaletech.com/DELUXE_LOCKPICK.htm

Just wondering, what you guys think.....
Good luck getting ANYTING from Coastal (including email replies) in your lifetime. Most of their stuff must be hand made. Almost Vaporware.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast

Yup, you won't get any replies from them.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast

jagbagri,
To pick up on this old thread...I was interested in getting video on the front navigation screen from a video ipod. Now that VAIS has their SL2Vi available to do this on the Camry 2007 Hybrid (http://vaistech.com/), I got one and plan on installing it this weekend.

This brings up a new dimension to hacks to unlock the blocked features of the NAV screen. VAIS (as expected for liability reasons) does not override the security systems of the Camry. This means the NAV screen video from the video ipod only works when stopped/parked.

To override/unblock this, it appears from forum searches there are one or two things that have to be done:

1) The speed sensor wire going into the middle of the 5 pins (pin 3) of connector F13 into the back of the NAV unit has to be modified. The name F13 comes from the toyota NAV wiring and troubleshooting diagrams page NS-49, and is the same as R12 in the http://www.oemvalue.com/install07.htm site which is the name used in your backup camera install instructions (which were very useful to me a year ago). From what I read in the forums it will not work just to cut the speed sensor wire, since the NAV unit is smart enough to realize no input is a hack and then reblocks the system as if moving. The solution appears to be to install a speed pulse generator to trick the NAV unit into thinking it is stopped (vs just no signal). Instructions to make one is at http://www.pinemountainfirearms.com/...peedPulse.aspx but I just ordered it for $55 from the guy and waiting for it to come in. You then cut the speed pulse wire going into pin 3 of F13 on the Camry 2007 and bring the NAV side of the wire via an extension wire to the common pole of a SPDT switch (such as radio shack 275-648). The dash/vehicle ECU side of the speed sensor wire that was going into the NAV unit then goes to one pole of the switch. The other pole of the switch gets connected to the speed pulse generator unit you can get for $55 (of build for $20 if you are willing to). Once you install the switch in a convenient place, it can then switch between factory setting vs unblocked via speed pulse generator. There is a detailed forum thread on this approach at http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ions-all-time/

2. Some forum sites say the parking brake has to be grounded to get video to play on the NAV while moving. The speed sensor injector device guy thinks this is not needed (but he has a Toyota truck, not a camry hybrid). Has anyone done this hack yet on the Camry hybrid 2007 who can tell me if both are needed or just #1? If this is also needed, what wire going into the NAV on which connector has to be interrupted?

Would appreciate any install tips from people who have done this already
Joe

Old 05-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Please be sure to post what you find after installing this. I was reading on their site and it did not mention the camry as one of the vehicles that it would work in. So I am very interested to see if this works!

Old 05-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

I installed the speed pulse generator (purchased from WileE) on my 08 TCH last Monday. Works like a charm. I put the switch on the top panel of the storage compartment under the AC controls (make sure you set it back far enough that the flip-up door won't collide with it mid-swing). My tech and I used wire connectors and wire clamps to make the connections. If something goes wrong with the car, I just remove the switch, disconnect the wires, reconnect the speed wire with itself, and pull the SPG out of the car before bringing it into the dealer. They may ask why the speed wire has been cut and reconnected, but I doubt it. And if they do, I can just say I had to pull the radio out to install my Vais SL2i and accidentally cut the wire.

As for the parking brake, Vais told me it would need to be hacked to overcome the lockout for video playing back from the iPod. I haven't upgraded to the SL2vi yet, so I can't tell you. I CAN say it would annoy me to drive around with the parking brake symbol on all the time...

Old 05-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

I installed the SL2Vi for use with my video ipod in the 2007 TCH, so far here are some initial results:

1. It has a bypass to the "I agree" screen that automatically presses the I agree button for you in a few seconds. Very nice.

2. Great sound from the video ipod. The audio seems to work fine in CD-mp3 mode.

3. I can't yet get the video (DVD mode) to work, though VAIS told me it will with the TCH. I have a forum posting in their tech support to figure a few things out and make sure I haven't made mistakes, but...I'm thinking some prior work a year or two ago with an installer (DVDs and LCDs in headrests, and the initial VAIS SLI install) may have interrupted the parking signal to the NAV screen. However, I cannot find any wiring diagrams that explain what wire is the parking brake sensor to the NAV screen. CAN ANYONE HELP? which connector and which wire tells the NAV unit the parking brake is on?

Joe

Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast

The VAIS SL2Vi is now working well in my TCH 2007. The video looks and sounds great.

The problem I had getting the video to work was the PKB (parking brake) signal to the NAV unit has to be ON. My car did not even have a parking brake wire going to the NAV screen. If you go to the NAV screen signal for this (go to diagnostic menu, and go to the screen on the NAV unit that tells you if PKB, REV, etc is on or off; see https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...en-menu-11376/ for how to get there) you will see that PKB is OFF regardless of whether the real parking brake is on or off.

The PKB sensor is at pin 1 of the 5 connector grey plug that also carries the speed sensor wire on pin 3 (purple wire) and the reverse sensor wire on pin 5. There is also a black wire on pin 2 (not sure what this is for). This 5 pin grey connector is called R12 in the diagram at https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...ictures-11672/ and once I put in a pin to connect it to ground by bolting the wire from pin 1 that I inserted to the NAV body, the PKB signal on the NAV on the diagnostic screen went to ON. Once this happened, the video worked great.

So far, the VAIS SL2Vi is working great for both audio and video in TCH 2007 I have. SOund and picture is outstanding. Now for some test drives to see if it will still be working when the car is moving.
Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NAV - Hacks to unlock the blocked features

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands