HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

First oil change —> overfilled?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow First oil change —> overfilled?

Hi guys,

I just took my '09 HCH for its first oil change today. I took four quarts of 0W20 Mobil 1 to the dealer. After the service, I asked for the leftover oil from the fourth quart to be returned to me, but was told that all four quarts were used. I said that I thought the capacity to be less than four quarts, and that I thought that overfilling would decrease fuel economy. The service advisor checked the dipstick which was exactly at the high fill line. Upon arriving home, I did a search in this forum on overfilling oil and fuel economy, but could not find specific threads on this topic. I know they exist, however. I seem to recall that the correct oil level is midpoint between the high and low dipstick marks.

My questions: Has my car been overfilled with oil? What is the net effect with respect to fuel economy? What is the best/easiest fix? What is the actual dipstick level when the correct quantity of oil is installed?

The dealer has indicated they will make any necessary adjustments, although it's annoying and a nuisance to have to return for the dealer having disregarded the manufacturer's oil quantity specifications.

Thanks for your help, advice, recommendations, and/or suggestions! I will print your replies to take to the dealer with me. Therefore, any specifics about how mileage may be affected would help to educate the dealer.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Default Re: First oil change —> overfilled?

Just to clarify: did they change the filter as well? And was the level check at the dealership done on level ground? Assuming yes to both, putting in 3.4 US quarts (per Owners Manual) should put it on the full line. I would guess they held back 1/2 quart, and kept it, or dumped it in with the drained oil.

FWIW, you could put in 3.0 quarts and be about midway between the 2 marks, which once upon a time was the object of the exercise. Dealerships in general fill to the top line, giving the customer "full measure". The one benefit is you can likely go the full change interval without the need to top-up.

My (Canadian) dealership, routinely put in 4.0 liters: gross overfill. I gave up and started do my own changes.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 06-21-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Arrow Re: First oil change —> overfilled?

The mechanic stated that he used all four quarts. The filter was changed, and it was checked on level ground.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I suspect you paid for 4 qts, you got 3.4 out of a larger container and all is good....now wasn't it nice of Honda to build in a little extra profit margin by having a standard fill be less than 4 qts

Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 AM

My solution is to use 3 liters at every change, filter or no filter. I have done this since new.If I lived in the States it would be 3 quarts. H

Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Steven,

Levels aside: do you notice any difference in feel, start-up, whatever?

I've got some bottles of Penzoil (sic, as needed) Platinum sythetic at the ready out in the garage, and our MM's at 20%. This will be the first non-Honda oil change for me, and I'm speculating it's main benefit is smoother starting, and maybe a very small improvement in mileage.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM

I have read that Honda 0-20 is synthetic? I have Pensoil for my next change as well. Picked it up at Lordco. $ 9+ a liter.[ouch] H

Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Arrow Re: First oil change —> overfilled?

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Levels aside: do you notice any difference in feel, start-up, whatever?
I've noticed an increase in FE, but too soon to know if it'll be sustainable. Not a fair test anyway, because I also bumped by tire pressures by 3 PSI. And switched to synthetic. It's the first time I've been able to get my MPGs into the low-50s since the car was new (have been averaging 38-39 MPG lately), although hard driving since then has put me back into the low-40s. No noticeable difference in drivability.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

When I do my own it is close to 4 litres with filter change, don't worry about it.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 PM

4 litres. will over-fill mine. I believe it only calls for around 3.5 with filter change. Can't remember the quoted #'s. H

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First oil change —> overfilled?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands