2007 toyota camry hybrid Transmission (CVT) FLUID?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Enthusiast
Question 2007 toyota camry hybrid Transmission (CVT) FLUID?

I went to my local dealer and was told that ATF-WS (World Standard) transmission fluid is the transmission for my 2007 toyota camry hybrid. i wanted to confirm with you guys before i do a drain and fill if the transmission fluid that i was told and sold is correct.

I DON'T TRUST MY DEALER SERVICE PEOPLE so that's why!!!

the parts guy sent me to the service person (who is just a middle man between the mechanic and the consumer).

thanks guys

Old 11-24-2010, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 2007 toyota camry hybrid Transmission (CVT) FLUID?

In this instance, they are correct.... ATF-WS fluid is correct for the power split device (AKA transmission).

Old 11-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

BOHICA. They want around $8 per quart, you'll need just shy of 4.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: 2007 toyota camry hybrid Transmission (CVT) FLUID?

thanks guys, i feel much better.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I looked into changing the transaxle oil a year after I bought my 2007 when it was new. I was told by the parts man that I would have to use toyota's transmission oil. It's not available anywhere else. Could be and may still be that way. He also mentioned it was expensive over the other car manufactures auto tranny oil.

I have only 30K on mine and may my not replace the fluid for a while. I ease mine around as most of you know.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Jimmy, I spend about the same for the Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid that I use in my other cars. My cost (including our rip-off 9.85% sales tax) was $34.00. Try buying some Amsoil synthetic fluid, THAT is expensive......

Old 11-25-2010, 11:10 AM
1st timer

Jimmy,
Just use the Toyota spec WS.No worries.
Just don't leave it in too long.WS doesn't have a great longevity record!
I don't know how sensitive our PSD's are to a friciton modified fluid compared to a automatic transmission.
I've looked for an aftermarket alternative like can be found for T-IV(Mobil 3309).Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Due to the fact that our oil is used to cool MG1/MG2 electric motors, I would not experiment with anything else but Toyota's WS. Wrong oil could degrade winding insulation and blow electric motors, probably works in lower temperatures (therefore low temperature viscosity could be important) and probably is never used in high pressure scenario. Also, I think transaxle or at least electric motors would fall under extended 150k hybrid components warranty (CA, NY, not sure about other states) and using non Toyota oil would be great excuse to not honor the warranty if those components fail, regardless of the real reason (IMO not possible to prove the oil didn't do the damage without extensive testing and if you're the only one using it, how would you pledge your case?). $9 a can is not that expensive, especially if you do it every 50k-100k and I really don't see any reasons to do it more often, unless the car is driven under very harsh conditions. My understanding is, most normal transmissions fail due to overheated and therefore highly degraded oil, with TCH I think it is possible but rather unlikely to overheat transmission oil in normal conditions, so oil should last long time, but not lifetime as Toyota claims.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:32 PM

i am sorry, but doesn't it say in owner manual that CVT is serviced ONCE at 100 000 miles? or there are TCHs with a regular automatic trannie, not CVT?

well, let me take it back. there is no mentioning of ATF replacement anywhere in maintenance guide, and it stops at 150 000 miles. engine coolant needs to be replaced at 100 000, spark plugs at 120 000. that's about it.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

ukrkoz,

Several things are at issue here. There have been several failures of the Prius PSD where the owner did not replace the fluid. Those that did (and sent a sample in to be tested) found quite a few metallic deposits in the fluid. By changing at the 50,000 mile mark (or sooner) these problems should disappear. For the $34 it cost me, it is cheap insurance.

I will replace the coolant for both systems as well as the spark plugs at the 100,000 mark. I DO NOT believe in "lifetime" fluids in any car as both MG1 and MG2 are bathed in the WS ATF fluid as well as the planetary gear set.

Quick Reply: 2007 toyota camry hybrid Transmission (CVT) FLUID?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands