2008 Hybrid Tahoe Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 Hybrid Tahoe Problems

My 2008 Hybrid Tahoe won't start, all the lights are working, radio and everything but the car was deader than a door nail. I called a tow truck out for a jump and nothing. I put the car into nuetral and it started. I was at an intersection and it just died on me. I went to start it up again and it was dead again...waited a second tried it again and it just starts up like normal. What is going on??? Two-weeks later, I drove to work and everything was fine. I go to the car wash during lunch and it dies at the Car wash so I had it towed to the dealer and the Dealer said it is the battery but my Tahoe won't start with a jump most of the time. Anyone else experience similar problems?? A new battery is going to cost $175 plus Labor and etc...at the end of the day I am out nearly $500 and I really don't think it is the battery!

Last edited by Derekc; 02-04-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo and needed more detail
Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Administrator
Default Re: 2008 Hybrid Tahoe Problems

it is the battery. I just had my escalade hybrid die on me after washing it with the radio on. fortunately it was under warranty and they replaced the 12v A/C delco battery. with the 8 year/100k mile warranty, I'm sure it should be covered.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

There were battery issues on some of the 08 models, which should be covered by warranty.
moer info under other threads in this forum

Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

My 2008 Tahoe Hybrid failed to start too. It was an early build, and had problems with a faulty transmission wiring harness.

If yours was built before April 08, get your dealer to check the harness.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When it "just died" were there any chimes, check engine lites, messages?

The early 2008s had wire harness routing issues that allowed critical circuits to rub to sharp edges in a bunch of places. They also had a 12V battery supplier problem.

Either way warranty should cover this and if it is "just dying" there should be codes that can be read.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Your dash displays 12V battery voltage...should tell you if 12V is low or not. Were you just sitting at the intersection, or braking, launching, turning, etc? At the car wash was the truck going through the car wash, or coming out, not entered yet, etc?
If it died at the interesection, didn't crank, but then cranked a few seconds later, then that eliminates many possible faults. Engine harness could be at least part of the problem.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
When it "just died" were there any chimes, check engine lites, messages?

The early 2008s had wire harness routing issues that allowed critical circuits to rub to sharp edges in a bunch of places. They also had a 12V battery supplier problem.

Either way warranty should cover this and if it is "just dying" there should be codes that can be read.
Apparently is wasn't just the 2008's. 47 error codes and just about every warning light and a complete shutdown on a 2010 Silverado. The blame - at least as far I was informed - slices in a wiring harness which then shorted against the frame.

Hopefully it's fixed now - but having a 2 month old vehicle die in the middle of the road isn't something that builds confidence.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just to help build your confidence back up.. since the wiring harness of my 08 Tahoe was replaced I've had NO other problems surface.

I'd had my truck about six months when the problem surfaced, and thanks to GM bankruptcy problems, it too almost 3 months to get solve.

Having said all that, it's still a great vehicle, and I love driving it.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Rob - glad to hear you haven't experienced additional issues. Hoping for the same here.

ETA - Well hope runs eternal it seems - back in the shop.

Last edited by LakeSilverado; 02-26-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Do you still own it ?

Quick Reply: 2008 Hybrid Tahoe Problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands