wrench light

Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default wrench light

Hi, I have a 2008 Escape that I bought in Nov. 2010. Lately, sporatically the wrench light is coming on. When I see it, I pull over and turn the car off and then re-start and often it does not appear again. The manual says take it in right away but it is not coming on consistantly. I've read a few post here and there seems to be quite a verity of issues or reasons for this. Anybody got any suggestions for me. I'm hoping there is an easy inexpensive explaination for this.

btw- I read one post where when the problem was fixed the persons millage increased. When I first bought the car it was getting around 28 mpg. Soon after it fell to around 21mpg. I live in the city and don't use the gass engine much so even though the mpg is not great at all I still get at least 10-12 days of driving out of one tank of gass. Don't know if the mpg fall is due to wrench light. Wrench light has been in the last week. Mpg fell months ago.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: wrench light

Sounds like the well known battery blend door problem.

There are several threads on this site about it. There is at least one thread with a guide for fixing it yourself.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

Cool, thank you. I will look up the info you mentioned.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've ignored it for the 118,000 miles on my 2008. Probably something to do with the "coffee perculator" behind the dash. It's never been an issue, and it runs like new.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast

When the wrench light comes on-does the SERVICE SOON message come on also? I have the same problem and my computer was "reset" about 5 times by my mechanic and I was told that the computer does not show anything about the light coming on at all. Finally it came on and stayed on but now they tell me I have to take it to the dealer.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

I have had the same problem in the past. I just ignore it, engine off then back on and it's fixed... similar to the "BRAKE!" light which likes to go on every few weeks after a short stop someplace and I start driving right after start up.

One time there was a problem with the wrench, and it was an in dash junction box that needed to be replaced. 40K miles and it cost 800 dollars. Symptoms were on start up every in dash light went on and stayed on, and keyless entry did not work afterwards.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

I've had the same thing happen off & on for several months now. When the Wrench light comes on I check my Scan Guage for error codes and it always says there are none. There seems to be no driveability issues when the light is on - - and it's only on probably less than 5% of the time.

I keep an eye on it and it almost always will not appear the next time I turn on the ignition so I've basically forgotten about the Wrench light now - - and don't consider it an issue. Strange behavior though!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Once again, sounds like the battery blend door problem.

If the blend door is malfunctioning, you could be getting reduced EV Assist/Regen (and therefore reduced MPG) due to battery heat issues causing the HEV system to protect the battery. There should be residual troubles codes even after the wrench light has not returned after a restart.

See previous threads for codes and repair options.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Retired Engineer

I took my '07 FEH to the dealer. They said it wants a fan kit and the blend door repair. They gave me an estimate of over $1600 and said it was NOT covered by 'Hybrid Unique Components' warrenty.

I'm currently fighting it. If you try to argue the point with the SA, they refer you to corporate cutomer service. I called them and they read me the warranty which says it covers 'the following parts Battery, DC-DC converter & CV Transmission' for 8 years or 100k miles. They say 'see, the fan isn't listed'.

Of course the fan is part of the battery assembly.

Eventually the CSR ageed to 'escalate' it and gave me a case #. She said the next step was to take it up with the service manager at the dealer and/or the local Ford Rep. (Get the name of the ford corporate rep, you'll need it)

So, I called the Service Manager and emailed him this link:
http://www.hybridcars.com/10-years-a...atteries-67399

In it they explain how well the batteries are tested. In the graphic 'Ford Hybrid Battery Evolution' they show the battery and the fans are clearly visible as part of the battery.

The Service Manager explained that they don't have any control over warranty decisions. They just type a part number into the computer and the computer says if its covered or not.

I told him the computer was obviously wrong and he (big surprise) said I had to take it up with Ford again. He did say he would email the Ford Rep and I asked him to invite the rep to call me directly.

I also gave them approval to start the repair. I need my car back and want it fixed right. (Do NOT just live with it... Chronic high temperatures will shorten the life of the battery, which the dealer mentioned is a $10,000 part!)

I figure I can always sue them in small claims court to get the cost of the repair back. I don't just want my car fixed though. I want them to fix their parts computer.

It will kill the sales of the Cmax if their hybrids get a reputation for failing with $1600 repairs after only 60k miles. My '05 Prius has over 125k miles and is still going strong.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Look Ralph, the HV battery does not want a fan kit, there are two codes for the #1 fan and #2 fan inside the battery assembly. The Ford workshop manual states if any one of those DTC codes pop up, the dealer must replace the battery assembly. Both Ford and the dealers know this, but play dumb of this issue too rip you off. If the fan or fans are bad under the 8yr/100K mile warranty, Ford must replace the HV battery or the fans inside the battery assembly.

Here at Greenhybrid, we are getting sick and tired of Ford and their dealers causing issues with warranty work that is covered by law. It's in writing in Ford's manuals! I can provide the Ford manual sections if needed, but that will make me more pissed off to go the New Media about another claim Ford and their dealers are putting out. I agree, the blend doors are not covered under the hybrid warranty, but those fans are!

GaryG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wrench light

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands