Longevity of electronic coolant pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Longevity of electronic coolant pump

With all the threads on failure of the water pump for the electronics in the FEH, why was a recall not done? Has anyone reached a 100000 miles without replacing this pump? I have read where some are replacing it before it fails. I asked our local Ford dealer service manager about this and he said that he has not replaced one at his dealership yet. I am concerned about taking our FEH on a trip and having it fail while I am not near any dealer to get it replaced. Does anyone know if all Escape Hybrids have the same brand of pump? Thanks in advance for your input on my questions. Our Escape Hybrid has just gone over 72000 miles and seems to be preforming like it should.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Longevity of electronic coolant pump

I believe the 2005 - 2007 model years used the same failure prone pump, but not sure about later years.

My '07 just failed at 38,700 miles, the lowest mileage failure I recall hearing about, but this type of failure is probably more related to age of the pump rather than mileage. In which case I almost made it to five years.

My local Ford dealer has five of the pumps in stock, leading me to believe it's a fairly common failure. I got mine from Silver State Ford for $188 delivered vs dealer price of $244+tax.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 AM

I replaced my MECS Pump at about 50,000 miles before a failure. I did this preemptively since I had read of a number of failures at around 50-60,000 miles.

When I did so the dealer (on line) did a VIN check (as he should) and the part shipped to me was listed as an '08 FEH pump. My FEH is an '06. This was a new design pump. So I believe that '08 and later years already have the new pump.

You can do a quick check as the new pump's motor is much smaller than the old one. If your pump's motor is about 6-8" long it's the old design. If it's maybe 2-3" it's the new design.

I believe Ford originally designed the pump as a "run when needed" pump. That kind of intermittent operation calls for a much heftier motor. When they experienced a higher than expected failure rate they changed the design to a run all the time motor. This is a much smaller, simpler and probably much more reliable motor.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by econoline

My local Ford dealer has five of the pumps in stock, leading me to believe it's a fairly common failure. I got mine from Silver State Ford for $188 delivered vs dealer price of $244+tax.
Look where you live. Southern California = highest number of hybrids per square mile in the nation, and probably world!

I think 90% of dealers will NOT have this part in stock, but one is always just 1 or 2 days of shipping away.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 AM

My 05 has over 66,000 miles without an issue. Will become proactive at around 80,000 miles if it continues as is.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by Billyk
My 05 has over 66,000 miles without an issue. Will become proactive at around 80,000 miles if it continues as is.
Mine started making noise, but never actually 'failed' so mine gave warning.
Also, there have been cases of just the wire lead(s) losing contact or making intermittant contact. So keep that in mind. I never got any warning lights, codes, or messages.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Can someone take a picture of this
thing and post it so all of us can find
it on our FEH. Thanks

Old 09-03-2011, 09:28 AM

http://blog.yagelski.com/2011/02/for...ric-motor.html

This links to another website. The author of this link replaced his MECS pump. Good pictures. You can see the difference between old & new pumps.

I did mine without putting it up on jackstands and without removing the plastic fairing. Doable, but you know, he's right. Jackstands and removing the fairing would make it easier.

I found venting the transaxle for refilling easy.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

One question, if the pump is located near the engine oil filter under the car, why it makes noise heard from the passenger side of the dash or glove box??