2012 Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2012 Camry Hybrid

Well, I've had my new Camry Hybrid for two weeks now. Comparing it to my 2007 Hybrid ...all I can say is WOW! On a 16 mile in town drive I averaged 51.9 mpg. On the highway, getting around 46mpg. The car is extremely quiet and no longer has the shutter/shake in the transition phase. The leather seats are more comfortable and the backup camera is pretty slick.

Basically, Toyota hit a home run with this car.

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE. White with Ivory interior. Sunroof, convenience package, Entune radio, etc.

Note: Wish I could figure out how to attach pictures.

Last edited by newfdude; 12-01-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added a comment.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2012 Camry Hybrid

I haven't seen a new one yet, but it looks like the car is the exact same shape as previous. Can you confirm this is the case?

One complaint I had with the 2007s was that for my height, 5'11", it felt a bit like looking out a tunnel if there was a sunroof. I'm sure I'm not explaining it well, but basically I passed on having a sunroof. And I miss it.

So if the roof slope is exactly the same in 2012, I suppose I'll be passing on the sunroof next time also.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'd also love to see some of your per-tank MPG calculations when you have a few, please, and let us know if they're hand-calculated or read from the car's display. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I'd also love to see some of your per-tank MPG calculations when you have a few, please, and let us know if they're hand-calculated or read from the car's display. Thanks.

exactly. if it sounds too good to be true... I know a trick or two how to get picture of 99mpg on my 2007, if I want to.

go to photobucket>sign up>upload a picture>resize it to about 600 x 800>copy image link> post.

but why? it's nothing more or less, than another Camry in a row, and we already had too many of those pics floating around anyway. unless you managed to really street tune it in 2 weeks.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

The 51.9mpg was via the display over 16 miles. The first tank of gas I got an average of 43.5mpg and that was via display and confirmed on miles divided by gas put on the tank. But, am I missing something here? Is there some error with the display calculation with a trip shorter than 20 miles, etc.? I drove 25 miles in cold weather today and got 46.5mpg (per display).
Needless to say, I am pleased as punch! I never ever got that kind of mileage with my 07 Camry Hybrid. In fact, my 05 Prius hardly got that kind of mileage. (NOTE: I am using the Eco Drive and when going below 25 miles I'll use EV only mode if I'm in a parking lot or heavy traffic.)

Thanks for Photobucket tip. I think it worked:

http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...bum_view_click

Last edited by newfdude; 12-02-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newfdude
The 51.9mpg was via the display over 16 miles. The first tank of gas I got an average of 43.5mpg and that was via display and confirmed on miles divided by gas put on the tank. But, am I missing something here? Is there some error with the display calculation with a trip shorter than 20 miles, etc.? I drove 25 miles in cold weather today and got 46.5mpg (per display).
Those are impressive mpg numbers for the cold weather. I drive a 2007 TCH and will estimate your 50 mpg should drop to around 46/47 mpg by the time your down to 1/4 tank of gas.

The display difference on the 2007 TCH was about 1 1/2 gallon less than the calculated method. I had lots of trouble getting a reliable calculate number when buying from various stations with unlevel driveways. I have used the mfd readout for all, but the first 6 months when I bought the new '07.

The 2007 TCH with the new mpg rating was about 33/34/34 city, comb, highway mpg. Although many could get 40 mpg combined. The 2012 XLE Camry hybrid is EPA rated at 40/39/39, city, combined, highway. Not sure why but both sites showed the same mpg for comb and highway.

So basically most were getting 7 mpg higher than the combined EPA numbers. I would think with the more efficient 2012 you should be able to get around 46 to 47 mpg combined above the EPA estimate. My guess more like 50 + mpg as a challange once the engine is completely broke in. The 50+ would be more when the weather warms up.

I also noticed on a gas powered 2012 LE at our local dealer came with the new Michelin Energy Saver a/s tires with the green dot symbol. These tires are good for a 8% increase in mpg. The non-hybrid LE I saw came with Bridgestone tires.

If your new XLE came with the Saver tires I would suggest you run them at 40 psi cold with nitrogen. They should come with nitrogen, check the valve-stem tips for the green dot. Mine ride fine using 40 psi cold. I have the dealer over inflate them to 44 psi then at night at home I let them down to the desired pressure. Not sure why, but I find that nitrogen filled tires seem to ride smoother.

I want a XLE, but the sales manager said it would come with the moon-roof. No problem, but i'm 6' 4" tall and if I loose a inch in the ceiling that may be a problem for me. Something about the XLE comes with EnTune, or was it the Navigation, which may include the moon-roof.

Last edited by rburt07; 03-23-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Congratulations - best of luck with our new car!

"On the highway, getting around 46mpg." At what speed? With or without the a/c on?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast

I have the same car without the tinted windows. The only difficult part is figuring out how to work Entune. I know the text messaging feature doesn't work for the iPhone yet.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

My WebOS phone doesn't work with Entune. I have been thinking of getting an IPhone. Does your Iphone work now and power Pandora on your radio? Does it do it with Bluetooth or do you have to have the USB cable plugged in. I have been reading some reviews and they read as if the Iphone worked for the APPS, but you had to have it corded into the aux plug in.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

My iPhone works with Pandora radio. You have to register for a Pandora account then enter the Pandora account information in the Entune application for it play. The iPhone does need to be tethered via a USB cable for the applications to work. Once tethered, then launch the Entune application and the navigation system will ask if you want to connect to your phone. Once connected you have full functionality of all the apps including playing music through the device.

There's also the option of playing music through Bluetooth. The sound quality is great; however, there is the ocassional skip due to the frequency that it operates in. Sometimes I switch from Bluetooth audio and physical tethering, that'll be up to you. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: 2012 Camry Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands