HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA Battery Warranty Replacement

Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default IMA Battery Warranty Replacement

I just thought I would document my warranty replacement, since it seems the experience varies so much. I bought my 2007 HCH new. In May of 2011, at about 65000 miles, I took it to the dealer for emissions/inspection. At that point they tried to do the IMA software update, which I declined. In late August, at about 70,000 miles, my check engine and IMA lights had come on. I returned to the dealer, and they completed the software update. They tried to charge me a hundred-some dollars for this service, which I was able to talk them out of. This turned the lights off.

By December I was having constant recals, with my battery swinging rapidly from empty to full constantly and predictably. The IMA and check engine lights finally came back on at 77,000 miles, and I drove directly to the dealer. I shut off the car when I got to the dealer, and when I started it again to go through the service drive the IMA light had turned off, but the check engine light was still on. The tech had it for 45 minutes and I was told that they had ordered a new IMA battery, and would call me when it was in.

The next week they called, and replaced my battery. They did not attempt to charge me anything. The car now drives like new, and I expect this battery will outlast the original significantly, since it has the new software from the beginning.

My experience was fairly painless, and I did not ever have to deal with Honda directly.

The really big change in the car leading up to the replaced battery, was the regular use of the backup starter motor. The car went for years without using this motor once, then it happened extremely rarely. In the weeks before the battery was replaced, the backup starter motor was being used ~50% of the time.

Last edited by RockMonkey; 12-12-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Warranty Replacement

You did the right thing. I did the software updates and so I never got an IMA -or- engine light. I just kept getting the backup starter and many many re-cals. I'm guessing many will be screwed because of no IMA/Engine light.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

You did the right thing. I did the software updates and so I never got an IMA -or- engine light. I just kept getting the backup starter and many many re-cals. I'm guessing many will be screwed because of no IMA/Engine light.
100% agree. I suspect I'll have to deal with my situation once the warranty is out.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

It sounds like I was lucky to get the light to come on, after the softwate update. My battery must have been really bad! That's interesting because driveability was still very good, and economy was in the mid 40s, which is pretty normal for cold winter weather.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

Just took my '09 HCH having 97,750 miles to the dealer today because the check engine light and the IMA light both came on.

Initially, because I happened to be near a "Pep Boys" I pulled in and asked if they could hook up and read the code; which they did at no cost. The resulting message read, "Replace deteriorated battery pack."

Today at the dealer I was told that they would need to hook up to their computer to read the code but that they can't get the car in until Monday to do so. I was also told that the replacement battery pack could cost as much as $3,000 and that, if it was bad the entire "Battery bank" would need changed. This is contrary to what my salesman had told me when I purchased the car which was that "individual cells" could be changed out if it was found that this was the problem. Because of that contradiction, Instead of setting up the apt. for Monday, I went to talk to the salesman from whom I purchased the car.

That conversation resulted in my setting up the apt. for Monday with the promise that, if the battery was bad, my salesman (who had been promoted to sales manager since I purchased my car) would deal with Honda himself because he had never had a battery go bad "ever" and that mine is the first. In truth, I found that difficult to believe but...

I've read on posts relative to this problem that "software updates" could/should have been done. I've never received information from Honda directing me to my dealer to have this done. Can somebody please give me the dates that this information was received along with any other related informational directives from Honda.

Doesn't it figure that I just paid the car off in October.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

P180:
Just took my '09 HCH having 97,750 miles to the dealer today because the check engine light and the IMA light both came on.
Were you able to show the dealer your car running whilst the two warning lamps were on? As long as those lamps are on you do have a formal leg to stand on......

As for the software update, not sure how this would effect your '09 because this is THE software from the factory for the '09, '10 and '11. Based on my experience, this software hides a deteriorating battery very well. It also does its best to PREVENT the IMA warning lamp from illuminating (see attachment):

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
hybrid recall-1.pdf (75.6 KB, 3229 views)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

NAVGUY12

I'm hoping that I'll be able to show the dealer that both lights are on when I take it in for the apt. on Monday. However, on my way home after making the apt., the IMA light went out.

This has happened intermittantly since the issue began. Because I can't think of any particular action on my part that instigated the IMA to come on, I suppose that I can only hope that they are both on when I arrive at the dealership on Monday.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Because I can't think of any particular action on my part that instigated the IMA to come on, I suppose that I can only hope that they are both on when I arrive at the dealership on Monday.
P180: Please let us know how your situation unfolds.

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast

Took the vehicle in on Monday after first cancelling the appt. because both the "engine warning light" and the "IMA" light failed to come on while I was out driving the car on Sunday evening. However, while I was driving the car on Monday, both warning lights came back on so I drove directly to the dealership. I was charged $82.00 to have the diagnostic done, the result of which was that the vehicle needed "numerous" software updates that should have been done earlier.

I told the dealer that I had never received a notice informing me of necessary software updates and asked him how I should have known without being informed by "Honda". He said that there were no recalls by "Honda" and that the only way I would have been informed is by bringing the car in for service. When I told him that there were no occasions when the vehicle needed to be serviced by the dealership, he simply shrugged his shoulders.

I have two problems with this experience. First, I don't think that I should have been charged any amount to update faulty software. Second, even though neither warning light has come on since I left the dealership, I am not getting the mpg's that I got prior to the start of this problem and that does take into account the change of seasons. I'm beginning to suspect that the software "update" may be the cause of the reduction in mpg's.

Note on my driving habits. While I do realize that there are "tricks" to get the greatest number of mpg's, I admit to not making use of them. I typically drive about 100 miles/day and 95 of those are "highway miles". I reset the mpg meter on trip A each time I fill the tank and have gotten as many as 54mpg/tank during Summer months and as few as 42mpg/tank during the Winter months. I would "guess" that 45mpg would be a fair mpg annual average. It's important that I make it known that I RARELY EVER drive at a speed over 55mph. It would be fair to say that, of the 97,750 miles that I've driven this vehicle, no more than 750 of those miles were at speeds greater than 55mph. (I use the "Trip B" meter as a "tire rotation reminder.)

Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I argued with my local dealer about my constant recals but got no where except cheaper when they charged me for updates despite my battery still being under warranty (less than 40K miles on the car).

I am currently trickle charging my battery and hoping that fixes my issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMA Battery Warranty Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands