brake accumulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default brake accumulator

I got an error message to check vsc on my 07 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I went to the dealer and they got a C-1391 code. They told me that accumulator in the brake system that stores brake fluid pressure was leaking and needed to be replaced. They quoted me a price of $1670 for the accumulator and another $350 to install it. Has anyone had to replace this. Are they rebuildable or available from the aftermarket? Thanks

Old 12-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: brake accumulator

similar issue with the prius, 2007 TCH is simpler because the brake actuator is easily accessible on the passenger side near the coolant reservoir. Quite pricey for a new replacement, I believe it's not serviceable.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...-pictures.html

Old 01-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbarneshb
I got an error message to check vsc on my 07 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I went to the dealer and they got a C-1391 code. They told me that accumulator in the brake system that stores brake fluid pressure was leaking and needed to be replaced. They quoted me a price of $1670 for the accumulator and another $350 to install it. Has anyone had to replace this. Are they rebuildable or available from the aftermarket? Thanks
What did you end up doing? I noticed that my brake system/accumulator pump is turning on every 15 seconds or so while the car is on (in "ready" mode), which sounds to me like there is a leak in the accumulator. I may be in the same boat as you.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast

I had it replaced by an independent shop. They had to buy the part from Toyota but there was no way I was going to pay Toyota dealer to do it. There are no aftermarket or rebuilt pumps and accumulators. I've had too many bad experiences with the dealers. I don't trust them. I don't know why I took it to them first. It cost over $2100 to fix including the $110 I'd already paid the dealer. My pump was kicking on more than normal before my light finally came on too. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A friend of mine loves buying old foreign SUV's and a few sports cars. Nissan, Toyota and etc. For a while he would take one to the dealer for transmission replacement or a entire engine. He found the same work was about half price, once he found a reliable foreign auto repair shop that had been in business for many years.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

I just don't trust them. There service advisors work on a commision. I'd change my cabin and air filter before I went in for service while it was under warranty and they'd still recomend that they needed to be changed. They told me that my rear brake pads were down to 2mm and needed to be changed. I decided to do it mysel. I found all the pads were at 5mm. I complain to Toyota and they say they can't do anything because they are independent franchises.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I took my 1987 Chevy Cavalier to a large Chevy dealer in North Dallas to get a in warranty wheel alignment. I called as the car was suppose to be ready around 3 pm. The service manager did say the car is ready, but did you know your brakes are wore out. I ask, why are you even looking at the brakes. He said, that if it was him, he would not even drive the car out of the shop, with brakes being so dangerously low. I told him to have my car ready ASAP to drive and don't touch anything else.

That car was new and only had 20,000 miles on it. Those same oem brakes lasted me till around 65K miles due to mostly easy city driving in Dallas. I traded it for a new one just like people did back then when you drove GM cars. I discovered and bought a new Corolla in '94. I put brakes on it myself at 105,000 miles. The best car ever, I drove it to 185,000 sold it for $1500 and that lady drove it for 5 more years.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-11-2012 at 04:30 PM.