Front differential oil

Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Front differential oil

The maintenance schedule calls for inspecting this at the 30K intervals. Is there really such a thing in the TCH? Or is it an inadvertent carry over from a boiler plate schedule they have for all Toyota vehicles? Thanks.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Front differential oil

I checked the Canadian version of the maintenance schedule. The way I read it, you check for leaks annually, and only if there are leaks do any more. I don't see any fluid replacement required in the schedule. No replacement with a standard auto transmission, unless it is used for trailer towing. There is a scheduled fluid replacement frequency for the manual transmission - every 32,000 km.

If you go on line to the Toyota site I believe there is a place where you can enter your specific car details with mileage and it gives you a list of what is needed. Would be a good way to check.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't see any transmission oil change either. Thought I read it may need replacing on the '07 TCH I had if you drive the TCH in the mountains a lot.

Don't forget to replace your coolant at 100K miles and the iridium spark plugs at 120K miles on the '12 TCH from the maintenance guide.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I know older Toyotas had separate differential fluid drain, as differential was sealed from transmission. But that was years ago.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

I change my transmission/power split device/transaxle (what ever you want to call it) every 60,000 miles. Only takes 30 minutes or less and is easy to do. Add 4.3 qts of Toyota type WS fluid and you are good to go.

I have had a bunch of things happen every weekend the past month and was planning on posting a how to on the hybrid coolant change and the tranny fluid change. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, it will get done this weekend.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Toyota calls it a transaxle. Current model is the P314.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Professor Emeritus

The oil needs to be changed at a "regular interval". Whatever you call the "device". Problems with this "lack of service" and "result of not doing it" is all well documented on several Prius forums. The Transaxle, PSD or "whatever in the hell you want to call it" needs attention at regular interval. There is documented "oil analysis" proof of problems with the oil if it is not dealt with.

It is very easy to change and there are Threads on this site posted by Forum members that explain the process in detail. Very simple and cheap insurance.

BTW... Designs on this are the same as the Prius. All in larger dimensions on the Camry.