HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Options for 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Options for 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery replacement

Folks, a little over a month ago I posted about a receiving a CEL and IMA battery light (P1600 and P1449 codes, no subcode given). I had the software on the car updated but, unfortunately, the problems have returned.

From reading through a large number of posts it appears that my options are to: continue to drive the car until the IMA battery fails (some say, depending on the condition, this can be done for quite some time); replace the IMA battery; or get a different car.

QUESTION #1: I am wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding these options?

I am not able to rework the battery myself, so if I want to replace the battery, it would cost in the realm of two to three thousand dollars as best I can tell. The options for replacing batteries seem to be:

a. Bumblebee Batteries (www.bumblebeebatteries.com), which costs $2095 and carry a 2 year warranty.

b. Re-involt Technologies (www.re-involt.com), which costs $1875 for remanufactured batteries and carry an 18 month warranty. Apparently they are expecting to have a lithium replacement in Q3 of this year. No idea on the costs. Requires current battery to be shipped.

c. Better Battery (through www.milehybridauto.com?). No idea on the cost or warranty.

d. Honda. The cost I have been quoted is about $2800 for, what I assume is a rebuilt battery, with a warranty of three years.

With some of these options, it appears that you need to send your existing battery in for a period of weeks to months. This would not be possible for me as I need to continue to use the car. So…

QUESTION #2: What are people thoughts on the pros and cons of each of these options?

QUESTION #2: Are there other options out there I should be aware of?

Any thoughts and advice people can give would be much appreciated.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Options for 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery replacement

I have read that with insights you can bypass the electric motor and drive with just gas. You could do this while waiting for your battery. Unsure if hch can do this

Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Eli
Banned

Bypassing the IMA system isn't as good of an option with the HCH because of the slightly different DC-DC converter and the fact that it it doesn't operate at idle - it has a higher minimum voltage than the DC-DC in the Insight.

You are not required to send your old battery to us in advance. We do offer extended warranties for $150/year.

You're correct that Honda's batteries are rebuilt and not brand new; they typically last 2-5 years.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions or concerns about our ordering process.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Enthusiast

Just curious if they're available used from a junk yard?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Enthusiast

I have the same problem -- 2003 civic hybrid, and getting codes P1600 and P1449. I've been driving the car with the IMA and CEL light on for over a year with absolutely no problems in terms of operating the vehicle. But now I have failed my emissions test, so have to do something. I am looking for the LEAST expensive option. Any suggestions?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Eli
Banned

Originally Posted by Civicminded2003
I have the same problem -- 2003 civic hybrid, and getting codes P1600 and P1449. I've been driving the car with the IMA and CEL light on for over a year with absolutely no problems in terms of operating the vehicle. But now I have failed my emissions test, so have to do something. I am looking for the LEAST expensive option. Any suggestions?
Give us a call, we would be happy to discuss your questions and concerns.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Enthusiast

I hope this may help some of you.
I had diagnosed by two different computers a IMA battery failing.
I tried as a last ditch effort recharging the 12 volt battery under the bonnet and magically the faults have gone away have used the care for 4 days and 150 km so far with better miles per gallon and no fault lights at the moment.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davey
Just curious if they're available used from a junk yard?
I checked that when mine died. Junk yard owner told me that the resellers tend to buy them quickly. Many junk yards have standing deals with these companies to sell them the batteries as soon as they recieve the cars.