Power backup?

Old 12-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Power backup?

Does anyone know, if utilizing something like this:

Amazon.com: Wagan EA2045 SelfCharge Auto Jumper In-Car Jumpstarter: Automotive Amazon.com: Wagan EA2045 SelfCharge Auto Jumper In-Car Jumpstarter: Automotive

during 12V battery replacement will actually work as back up power source, while battery is replaced? All it takes is about 15 minutes. But this car is so strange electrically.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Power backup?

It will work as long as you plug it in and leave the car in the "accessory" mode. The power plugs are not active unless the car is partially on.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:55 PM

Boom. Where have you been for so long? I ate ton of crap on this at TN forum.
OK, so bear with me. Unless Start button is in ACC mode, there will be no 12V BACKFED into the system via lighter? Which I have no issues leaving it in ACC mode, as far as it's back-fed.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

Do not trash TN. You are very active at TN with a lot of useful posts but not all.
What if it is powered through a diode to protect the car system from a reverse power source from cigarette lighter?

Last edited by drini; 12-07-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

drini,

Both power outlets are powered thru the 20A acc pwr outlet on the fuse block. That wire splits between socket E35 (rear power) and E29 (front power) to feed the hot side of the power plug. They both ground back to pins 4 and 8 on junction block E49, combine there and exit on a ground wire from pin 2 to ground point E2. No diodes involved. You can also use alligator clips on the battery jumper point under the hood to hook up an auxiliary battery. You just need to be very careful and not let the positive battery cable touch the body or anything that will short it out.

I always use the front power outlet under the AC controls.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with you. I just wanted to write something to soften my previous statement.
Also at TN I wrote to the same question by OP:
"I personally wouldn't use a charger. Power from the charger is not filtered (battery is supposed to filter) and depending on the charger the voltage can fluctuate a lot. So there is risk involved. By using even an old 12V battery (with decent capacity left) and connecting with a 14 gauge wire (not a jump cable) by tying the wires in both ends to protect from accidental disconnect) will make it an easy battery swap."

Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think he was using a charger, just a small booster battery. I agree that a charger shouldn't be used as the voltage varies too much and is prone to spikes.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 AM

I wasn't using anything. My battery is still OK, but it's simply getting old. I am planning on replacing it any time soon and looking into options. Tying anything does not appeal to me. Jumper cables sound better but considering tight corner to work in, good chance is them fall off and ECM get monkey brain as result.
I know there is a 12V bus in fuse box, that can be used for backup power, with smaller gator clip.
David, where exactly are points you mention, under AC controls? Are you simply talking about "lighter" receptacle in center console? Inside the storage compartment? Vs one next to arm rest?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by drini
I agree with you. I just wanted to write something to soften my previous statement.

If you were referring to me trashing TN, for starters, none like this was said, unless it wants to be perceived that way, that I have no control over; and 2, if you read my original post at TN, you will notice, how responder by responder by responder clearly does not even understand the question and principle of back feeding power via 12V outlet.
I did get tired of this, that I did. Glad my question was sitting here long enough for David to pitch in and clear this.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

I use the "lighter" or 12V power outlet (what they call them now.....that is in the storage compartment. I'm usually working around the center console and have popped the plug out before at that location. Way back into the storage compartment, it is harder to knock out.