Motorcraft oil XO-5W20-QSP verus XO-5W20-QFS

Old 09-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Motorcraft oil XO-5W20-QSP verus XO-5W20-QFS

The XO-5W20-QSP is the oil recommended for the 2005 FEH. It is:

Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is a premium-quality passenger car motor oil designed, engineered and recommended by Ford Motor Company meeting warranty requirements. It is API Certified for gasoline engine service ILSAC GF-4 and meets API SM/Energy Conserving.

The XO-5W20-QFS is:

Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil is a premium-quality passenger car motor oil designed, engineered and recommended by Ford Motor Company meeting warranty requirements. It is API Certified for gasoline engine service ILSAC GF-4 and meets API SM/Energy Conserving.

Both versions meet the WSS-M2C930-A standard. Has anyone tried the fully synthetic version?

Old 09-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Early Adopter
Default Re: Motorcraft oil XO-5W20-QSP verus XO-5W20-QFS

No I used Mobil 1 5w20 at the last change. I'm thinking the Motorcraft oil is a new product...

Old 09-18-2005, 02:55 PM

Motorcraft change their spec to comply with the FEH and other F4 oil requirements. In Feb. 2005 I tried to find motorcraft oil that complied with the FEH manual and couldn't here in Florida. The old motorcraft 5-20W oil which I used in my 2002 Explorer was still sold at Walmart with the old spec.. Walmart stop selling Motorcraft oil and filters about a month latter

Today was the first time in six months that I found and bought motorcraft 930A 5-20W oil. It sold for $1.94 a quart. It was $3.00 at the dealer for the last I bought. I looked at the oil filters in Walmart and they are selling motorcraft again thank god. It looked like they had a better selection of motorcraft filters but none for the FEH. This was not a Super Walmart and I will check there next.

I will continue to use Motorcraft oil filters. The filter on my explorer is now back at Walmart for $3.40. The dealer wants $2.00 more for that same filter. Lets all hope Walmart starts selling the FEH Filter and O-rings. I'm sure it will be cheaper than the dealers if they do.

For those of you who use Mobil 1 5-20W, I saw it also for the first time at Walmart for a little over $5.00 a Qt. I confirm with others here that it says it complies with the FEH 930A spec.

In my opinion, I got better mileage in my Explorer and Ranger with Pennzoil 5-20W straight oil over the Motorcraft blend. I will stay with the 930A Motorcraft Blend oil in my FEH to be on the safe side but will not use the full synthetic myself. I prefer to change the oil more often with the cheaper oil for a number of my own reasons I guess.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just changed the oil in my '05 FEH for the first time (only 2 oil changes so far and I had the dealer do the first one). I used Mobil-1, and did check that it meets the standard ahead of time. It was recommended by my friend who is a mechanic for Ford (Ford itself not a dealer), so I'm comfortable with it.

Side note: It is recommended that the o-ring that seals the filter cover be replaced when changing the filter. If you don't replace it, be extra careful the you don't pinch, nick, or cut it while installing the cover. The o-ring will be slightly expanded compared to a new one, making it harder to install. The Motorcraft filter I got did not come with a new o-ring and no one seems to have the Fram, Wik, or others that come with the o-ring in stock. I'm going to order a couple of Fram filters now to be ready when the next time comes.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Early Adopter

You might also look into the Mazda version of the filter. I found a dealer in Texas that has a reasonable price on it, though the shipping is prohibitive unless you order more than one.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mppkll
I just changed the oil in my '05 FEH for the first time (only 2 oil changes so far and I had the dealer do the first one). I used Mobil-1, and did check that it meets the standard ahead of time. It was recommended by my friend who is a mechanic for Ford (Ford itself not a dealer), so I'm comfortable with it.

Side note: It is recommended that the o-ring that seals the filter cover be replaced when changing the filter. If you don't replace it, be extra careful the you don't pinch, nick, or cut it while installing the cover. The o-ring will be slightly expanded compared to a new one, making it harder to install. The Motorcraft filter I got did not come with a new o-ring and no one seems to have the Fram, Wik, or others that come with the o-ring in stock. I'm going to order a couple of Fram filters now to be ready when the next time comes.
I will use nothing but OEM filters and now switched from Mobil one to the Ford 100% synthetic oil in my pzev. My 94 Bronco is still running with almost 400,000 trouble free miles all on mobil one synthetic in engine and transmission, diferentials

Old 11-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SAM Hybrid

Both versions meet the WSS-M2C930-A standard. Has anyone tried the fully synthetic version?
I had my last oil change at a Ford dealer and requested the full synthetic. It was readily available.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
I had my last oil change at a Ford dealer and requested the full synthetic. It was readily available.
I wish they would also come out with a heavy diesel 5/40 full syn and i would switch to it in my F 250 instead of amsoil. I've used the ford full syn in my 2007 pzev since it was new in 07 and am happy

Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

For those of you using Mobil 1, are you using using 5W-20 or 0W-20?

John

Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

0w-20 here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorcraft oil XO-5W20-QSP verus XO-5W20-QFS

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands