"Maintenance Required" light

Old 10-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default "Maintenance Required" light

The last few times I have started the car, the 'maintenance required' light flashes longer than the others. After the initial test of all the indicator lights has finished, this light continues flashing for a few more seconds. Is this normal or is it trying to tell me I have to take it in? What sorts of issues make this light come on?

I have tried the three clicks thing with the gas cap, that did not change anything.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:04 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: "Maintenance Required" light

Originally Posted by zimbop
The last few times I have started the car, the 'maintenance required' light flashes longer than the others. After the initial test of all the indicator lights has finished, this light continues flashing for a few more seconds. Is this normal or is it trying to tell me I have to take it in? What sorts of issues make this light come on?

I have tried the three clicks thing with the gas cap, that did not change anything.
I don't have my manual in front of me but all of the Honda's I have ever owned including my HCH will flash the maint required light if its time for an oil change, probably every 7500 miles or so. Eventually it will stay on until you reset it. The manual tells you how. Hold in the trip odo button while you turn the ignition key to on (but dont start the vehicle) hold the odo button down for a few seconds until the maint req light turns off. The check eng light is the most critical light to pay attention to. Hope this helps. The older hondas had a maint required colored disk that changed from green to yellow to red every 7500 miles.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:10 PM

How many miles are on the car? For the HAH, I believe it flashes for ten seconds between 6K and 7.5K miles. After 7.5K miles, it stays on. It's just telling you you're near or you're at the standard oil change interval.

Last edited by bar10dah; 10-18-2005 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Adding: For the HAH,
Old 10-18-2005, 04:57 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

On the HCH, the maint required light with flash for 10 seconds after 8k miles to indicate that an oil change is due. At 10k, it will stay on. This is documented in the manual, along with the reset process for after you change your own oil, or the dealer forgets to do it themself.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:10 AM

Mine just crossed 20k. I bought it at 14k.