Maintenance Required Soon Display

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 07:09 AM
it's just a car...
Default Maintenance Required Soon Display

One of my pet peeves of General Motors products is the "Service Engine Soon" dash light that stayed on until the dealer cleared it. Clearing it usually costs about $80, even if no "service" is performed.

Yesterday, at start-up, my non-nav TCH flashed a "Maintenance Required Soon" message momentarily. Since the odometer is at 4,610 miles, I assume it's referring to the first oil change. In any case, I'm happy that it did not remain on and my normal status display returned.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Maintenance Required Soon Display

I don't know what the process is, but I thought there was a sequence to clear the maintence message.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
One of my pet peeves of General Motors products is the "Service Engine Soon" dash light that stayed on until the dealer cleared it. Clearing it usually costs about $80, even if no "service" is performed.

Yesterday, at start-up, my non-nav TCH flashed a "Maintenance Required Soon" message momentarily. Since the odometer is at 4,610 miles, I assume it's referring to the first oil change. In any case, I'm happy that it did not remain on and my normal status display returned.
I wonder if it works the same way as recent GM products. My GM truck gives a gentle reminder when an oil change is due by flashing the message upon startup, but then it goes out. If I ignore it long enough, the message stays on contantly. Doing the oil change does not reset it, as the engine has no way to know the oil was changed. The light is reset by a simple pumping of the gas pedal a certain number of times with the key in a certain position (I always need to look it up in the manual each time). Perhaps the TCH will behave the same way, with the light becoming more insistent if it is not reset.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 AM
it's just a car...

The GMs do have a key-on, multiple-push accellerator sequence to clear the message, but the message itself does not differentiate between a failed air intake sensor and impending transmission failure. Even the GM dealer's sophisticated equipment codes can't differentiate between an inexpensive sensor and another one cosing hundreds.

Let's hope any similarities between the dumb nagging GM dash message and the temporary friendly reminder on the TCH display are just coincidental.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Toyota IGuide and the manual indicate how to clear the message.

The Maintenance Required Soon, kicks in 500 miles prior to your 5000 mi oil change interval, then a different message (Maintenance Required) shows up.

At least that's what I recall from the reading.

edit**

Yes, there are two levels of warning, one @ 4500mi that turns off shortly after ignition, and one @ 5000mi that will stay on while the ignition is on.
More information and reset procedure were found on page 144-5 of theowner's manual:

Maint Req'd Soon

This message is to remind the driver to
change the engine oil. The message is
a prior notice.
Toyota recommends that the engine oil
be changed as soon as possible.
If the driving range after the previous oil
change reaches 7200 km (4500 miles), the
message appears for about 15 seconds
with the master warning light and a warning
tone sounds.
The engine oil maintenance data must be
reset after the engine oil change. See
following “Resetting the engine oil maintenance
data”.

Maint Req'd

This message is to remind the driver to
change the engine oil.
Change the engine oil as soon as possible.
If the driving range after the previous oil
change reaches 8000 km (5000 miles), the
message appears with the master warning
light and a warning tone sounds. The
message stays on with the ignition switch
on.
reset after the engine oil change. See
“Resetting the engine oil maintenance
data” below for the procedure to reset the
system.
Resetting the engine oil maintenance
data
reset after replacement of the engine oil.
Reset the data by the following procedure:
1. Turn off the engine with the trip meter
A reading shown.
For details, see “—Odometer and two trip
meters” on page 137 in this Section.
2. The ignition switch must be set at ON
while holding down the trip meter reset
****. A message “OIL MILEAGE
RESET MODE” will appear on the
display.
3. Hold down the **** at least 5 seconds.
A message “COMPLETE” will appear,
then the message “OIL MILEAGE
RESET” goes off.

Last edited by Eskimonio; 08-13-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
The GMs do have a key-on, multiple-push accellerator sequence to clear the message, but the message itself does not differentiate between a failed air intake sensor and impending transmission failure. Even the GM dealer's sophisticated equipment codes can't differentiate between an inexpensive sensor and another one cosing hundreds.

Let's hope any similarities between the dumb nagging GM dash message and the temporary friendly reminder on the TCH display are just coincidental.
Depends on the model. My truck specifically says "Change Engine Oil Soon" when it's oil change time.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
Toyota IGuide and the manual indicate how to clear the message.

reset after replacement of the engine oil.

Reset the data by the following procedure:

1. Turn off the engine with the trip meter

A reading shown.

For details, see “—Odometer and two trip

meters” on page 137 in this Section.

2. The ignition switch must be set at ON

while holding down the trip meter reset

****. A message “OIL MILEAGE

RESET MODE” will appear on the

display.

3. Hold down the **** at least 5 seconds.

A message “COMPLETE” will appear,

then the message “OIL MILEAGE

RESET” goes off.

Thanks!

What the heck is Toyota thinking, they have made everything so convoluted to set and change in this car. My TL was simple, you paged through the MID display then pressed and held the select button until it came up witht he service minder, then you held it agan to reset it, none of this turn the car off with the trip meter set one way then hold it when starting the car. Same thing with all the other options, like unlock and lock of doors, too convoluted, needs to be well documented in manual and an easier way to set/reset/chaneg them!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Convert

Originally Posted by kluken
Thanks!

What the heck is Toyota thinking, they have made everything so convoluted to set and change in this car. My TL was simple, you paged through the MID display then pressed and held the select button until it came up witht he service minder, then you held it agan to reset it, none of this turn the car off with the trip meter set one way then hold it when starting the car. Same thing with all the other options, like unlock and lock of doors, too convoluted, needs to be well documented in manual and an easier way to set/reset/chaneg them!
Aha! So that's why both my trip meters were reset after I got it back from service.