Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Old 08-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Greeting, anyone tow a Ford Escape 4 wheel drive Hybrid automatic behind a motorhome ,4 wheels on the ground? Can it be done? one dealer told me it could not! , but read in another forum it could be towed ! confused, thanks Earl at the Rivercabins.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

There is a section of the owner's manual that concerns "recreational towing". I don't have my owners' manual in front of me, but I believe it describes how to tow the vehicle in those circumstances.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Hi thanks, we don't have one yet , looking at several different models of cars for our tow behind vehicle, & like the looks & need something we can tow with 4 wheels on the ground with automatic transmission ,haven't even looked at them in the flesh yet! thought someone who owns one might be able to tell me ! Earl at the Rivercabins.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yes, you may tow any Ford Escape Hybrid with all 4 wheels on the ground, up to 75 MPH.

The 2005 manuals were shipped out with a mis-print that said flatbed towing was required. But that was in error, and the error has been corrected in 2006 and 2007 manuals. This did create a lot of confusion, but nothing has changed between 2005 and 2007, except cosmetics and interior options. ( and the manual ! )

-John

Old 08-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

From the 2006 FEH Manual:

"RECREATIONAL TOWING
An example of “recreational towing” is towing your vehicle behind a motorhome.
The Escape Hybrid may be "flat-towed" (all wheels on the ground) by shifting the transmission into Neutral. This is permitted for Front Wheel Drive (FWD) or Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) vehicles. Your vehicle may be towed up to a speed of 120 km/h (75 mph) but you should always obey local speed limits.
You also have the option of trailering the vehicle with its front wheels on a dolly (FWD only), or trailering will all four wheels off the ground.
For other towing requirements, refer to Wrecker towing in the Roadside Emergencies chapter."

Old 08-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just a reference to a similar discussion...

'06 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD toad- update!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast

Hi,
I just got back from a trip to eastern Oregon. I towed my 2008 ford escape hybrid 4wd with automatic trans 945 miles four wheels down. It tow great.
What the manual does tell you is the process to get it towable.
1. turn key on
2. move grear shift to nutural. ( besure to have the parking brake set )
3. turn key off. ( release parking brake)
I had a non electronic key cut. This lets you turn the ignition on without being able to start the car.
Also at this time there are no supplemental braking packages for the escape hybrid. I had to brake hard a couple of times and had no problem. As soon as someone comes out with a usable braking package I will have it installed.

2007 Southwind 32VS
Workhourse chassis
8.1 gas engine
mpg 7.2
mpg towing escape 4wd 6.4
escape mpg 31.2

Hope this helps,

Ron j.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

Koio. Am looking at a 2010 Escape Hybrid and have a question that nobody seems to be able to answer including several dealers.

Does the Hybrid rack up miles on the odometer as it is being towed?

If so, is there any way you can prevent that from happening?

My wife and I are going to put about 12K miles on our RV this upcoming Fall, Winter and Next Spring, and I don't want to use up 12K miles of my warranty when the car is only being towed.

Is anybody out there able to answer this question?

Thanks
JohnMcK

Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koi0495
Hi,
I just got back from a trip to eastern Oregon. I towed my 2008 ford escape hybrid 4wd with automatic trans 945 miles four wheels down. It tow great.
What the manual does tell you is the process to get it towable.
1. turn key on
2. move grear shift to nutural. ( besure to have the parking brake set )
3. turn key off. ( release parking brake)
I had a non electronic key cut. This lets you turn the ignition on without being able to start the car.
Also at this time there are no supplemental braking packages for the escape hybrid. I had to brake hard a couple of times and had no problem. As soon as someone comes out with a usable braking package I will have it installed.

2007 Southwind 32VS
Workhourse chassis
8.1 gas engine
mpg 7.2
mpg towing escape 4wd 6.4
escape mpg 31.2

Hope this helps,

Ron j.
A non-electronic key used for the procedure may, or may not, work. The "electronics" may need to be on in order to "recognize" the procedure.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by wwest
A non-electronic key used for the procedure may, or may not, work. The "electronics" may need to be on in order to "recognize" the procedure.
No. It's A-ok and works fine with a plain key in the 2005 to 2008 anyway.
I can't speak for the newest, but I doubt anything changed.

I'm 99% sure miles do not count up.
To test, roll your car somewhere safe, (coast) at slow speed, with the key off and see what happens.

Can someone tell me with certainty, is it best to tow with the steering wheel locked straight, or with the steering wheel unlocked?

There is a little push button to put the car in "neutral" without a key at all, but the steering remains locked.

HTH,
-John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing a Ford Escape behind motorhome

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands