Who Uses the "B" Setting on the Shift Lever??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Hooked on Hybrid
Default Who Uses the "B" Setting on the Shift Lever??

I haven't found it mentioned in the posts here but just wondered who uses it?

It seems to engage the stronger regeneration just without some brake pedal applied. Guess it might get back a tiny bit more energy? Also wondered if it lights up the brake lights when you pull the lever back and use it -- don't need a tailgater in my trunk!

Old 09-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Who Uses the "B" Setting on the Shift Lever??

Ohh, never thought of that. If a cop is around 'B' might slow you down without attracting attention.

Donald

Old 09-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast

salesmen told me B was for driving strickly on battery and said that is what B stood for, and he said I could jump the 12 volt battery from the large high voltage battery. Both statements are wrong lol

Old 09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV

Lol i am confused, so what exactly does the B setting do?

Old 09-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Engine braking with foot off throttle.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LThompson
I haven't found it mentioned in the posts here but just wondered who uses it?

It seems to engage the stronger regeneration just without some brake pedal applied. Guess it might get back a tiny bit more energy? Also wondered if it lights up the brake lights when you pull the lever back and use it -- don't need a tailgater in my trunk!
My understanding is that shifting to "B" is somewhat equivalent to downshifting in a normal car. It is intended for use when driving down a steep grade, like down a mountain. I believe the manual called it "engine braking" mode.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:38 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

I live in a hilly area and have tried the "B" mode several times to save my brakes (I hate using my brakes), but it slows the vehicle down way too much (which I hate even more ). So personally I have no use for it.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Enthusiast

I actually have one place I do use it. There is a very steep downhill where the speed limit is 35 near my home. Shifting into 'B" slows down the car enough that I'm not doing 75 when I hit the bottom of the hill. But other than that it's more of a pain than anything. If it had been designed for an easier shift (say drive by wire paddle shifters on the steering column) it might have been more usable. But the point of an automatic transmission is that you don't shift, so I don't think many will use it.

Donald

Old 09-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The B setting will use the engine to slow you down when you're travelling down a steep hill. However, since it's using the engine you actually get less regen braking rather than more.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:01 AM
WVGasGuy

I don't use "B". Are you sure it actually uses the engine or does it possibly add some "torgue" to the generator to increase resistance and thus increase generation? I thought someone had shown graphs with increased generation during B mode operation. I don't know but am curious.

I prefer to create power on long grades and have "rode" my brake pedal, probably annoying to the person behind me, but still justified since I would have broken the speed limit significantly if I had not.

Quick Reply: Who Uses the "B" Setting on the Shift Lever??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands