GPS antenna location?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default GPS antenna location?

My wife and I are experienced GPS users (geocaching, survey markers, etc).

We've noticed that the Escape Hybrid roof is thick enough to block our garage door remote control. This made me wonder where the GPS antenna for the navigation system is mounted. Does anyone know?

Lloyd

Old 09-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GPS antenna location?

Someone said it was under the little recessed square on the top of your dash in the middle near the window. But I have no confirmation of that.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:39 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure about the FEH, but my 07 MMH has "an antenna" on the right side just front of the passenger door that I thought was the NAV antenna (since the FM antenna is usually etched on the liftgate windows, right?)

Here's a picture of the 07 MMH that has that antenna...cant see it in this picture, but it's squiggly, almost like a double helix, and not normal straight FM antenna at all.

http://www.autoweb.com/content/resea...s_id_int/41846

Old 09-11-2006, 02:44 PM

Thats your FM antenna.... the only thing on the liftgate is a defroster.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:00 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Thats your FM antenna.... the only thing on the liftgate is a defroster.
Oh..ok. Thanks for the correction. So where is the FM antenna for the FEH? Is it telescopic? If so, why the heck did they make the FM atntenna for the MMH non-telescopic? Inquiring minds wants to know...(ok...I'll read up on my manual tonigh).

Old 09-11-2006, 03:23 PM

Hi Lloyd

The GPS antenna is behind the Navi which has to be removed to access the antenna. It is held in place by one screw. I thought I read it was part of the Audio Control Protocol module, but it's not.

GaryG

Last edited by GaryG; 09-11-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

GPS is a very faint signal, and needs to be pretty much line of sight with the sky.

It will go through thin ( 1/8" ) plastic or glass, but sheet metal of any kind is a formitable barrier.

I've been suspicious of that little plastic square ( or rectangle, not looking at it now ) in the center of the dash, near the windshield. I can't confirm at this point, but other than the outside of the car, this would be the logical place. ( also close to the back of the Nav unit itself )

IT IS POSSIBLE ( but improbable ) for the GPS signal to be integtrated into the AM/FM whip antenna on the outside of the car.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
IT IS POSSIBLE ( but improbable ) for the GPS signal to be integtrated into the AM/FM whip antenna on the outside of the car.
I doubt that whip antenna would be of any use for receiving the GPS signal. While both are LOS signals, the whip antenna is mainly used for AM signals which are medium frequency (300-3000 kHz) IIRC. FM which is VHF (30-300 meg) comes in pretty well without the whip even installed. GPS signals are way up in the UHF band (300-3000 meg) I believe.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I think you missed the point. One antenna could serve multiple purposes. This is almost certainly not the case here, but could be in the future.

FWIW, GPS L1 Band = 1575.42 Mhz Wavelength = 19.029cm ( 0.19029m ).

Or 1.5 Ghz in round terms.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:29 PM

Hi Ray

If you look on top of the center of the dash close to the winshield, there is a 1 1/2 inch square plug. Pretty sure that that is the top of the GPS antenna. The shop manual says the navi has to be removed to access it. This location would give the antenna a clear shot though the windshield. It looks like the brackett that holds the antenna in a horizontal position is bolted to the firewall.

GaryG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS antenna location?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands