Disable Backup Beep

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Nut
Unhappy Disable Backup Beep

I found these instructions for disabling the backup beep. I've followed them several times, but never get "b on" or "b off" at #7.

I have an '06. Please let me know if I've got something wrong here:

1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY. IG-ON will do for this purpose.
2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO (not Trip A or Trip B)
3. Power off the car.
4. Now power the car to READY (brake on). This is required so that step 6 works correctly.
5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more (there is no indication... just count)
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, shift the "gear" selector to R, then press the P button. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
7. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is normally displayed (front dash area). "b on" is beep on (default), and "b off" is beep off.
8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.
9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
10. Power the car on to READY and confirm the reverse beep status by shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if "b off" was selected, and should be audible if "b on" was selected.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Don't Taunt Pepito
Default Re: Disable Backup Beep

Those are the steps I followed to disable mine. The only things I can think that could be going wrong are:
* You're not getting the Trip/ODO button pressed soon enough
* You're not waiting the full 10 seconds
* You're unknowingly releasing the Trip/ODO button (maybe just lightening the pressure enough?)

Old 09-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Nut
Red face Re: Disable Backup Beep

I just had to keep my foot on the brake when I shifted into "R". That's a big DUH!

Old 09-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm considering running down to the garage to disable this right now. I've wanted that stupid beep gone for years... .

I searched and found the more general "beep" thread, if anyone else like me wants them all gone:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...t=disable+beep

Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Disable Backup Beep

Tried the steps above. The reverse-gear beeps are now gone. Thanks for the post!

Old 09-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Only had the car a little over a week and that beep was already driving me nuts. Thanks so much!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

This worked for me! Thanks very much. It is the only thing I dislike about the car since I bought it a few weeks ago.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:17 PM

I went cover to cover in my '07s owners manual to get rid of that darn beep. Apparently those instructions are not in the manual for 07. I did find the instructions here a couple of months ago, no more annoying beep! Now if I could use the nav and phone while moving, all would be groovy. That is now my #1 peeve. Used to be the beep. Gotta be a better way than paying like 300 bucks for the bluelock thing.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

These instructions worked like a charm on my 2007 Touring model. Thank you. Although Ive only had the car for 2 days, the backup beep was something I had to get rid of.

Does anyone have a list of other modifications to the software you can make through undocumented features like this?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast

It took me about 3 times to get it right since I was watching the MFD at first... it's shown on the main dash where the odometer normally is... for anyone else that failed to catch it. It did work like a charm though!

Quick Reply: Disable Backup Beep

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands