GPS "Night Mode" Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 05:14 AM
Enthusiast
Question GPS "Night Mode" Gremlin

Anybody a GPS display expert? About two weeks ago (at night) I turned on my GPS and inexplicably entered "Night Mode". Night Mode is a screen that is much darker than the normal "Day Mode". On the "Display" menu there was a button to switch back and forth between "Day Mode" and "Night Mode".

What is peculiar is that previous to this incident I had been using the GPS a lot at night and never entered a "Night Mode". Furthermore, I was only able to enter "Night Mode" for about a week. Now, at night, my GPS display is bright and in "Day Mode".

I am fairly proficient with the GPS but have searched the manual, have tried every button, have tried every combination of headlight/interior light and am still unable to find the Lost World of Night Mode. I asked the local Toyota Service department about it and the Prius expert shrugged his shoulders and said, "huh."

Any thoughts?

Old 08-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: GPS "Night Mode" Gremlin

If I am understanding your question correctly, your are trying to get back to the Night Mode on the Display. This is not related to the GPS, but rather related to your dashboard lights setting (the adjusting wheel to the left of the steering wheel).

If your interior lights are turned all the way up, you cannot enter Night Mode. As long as you turned the lights down (you can feel a catch when the dashboards lights are on high). Once they are turned down off of high, you should be able to enter night mode again. (You may have to go to the display screen to turn the night mode option on---this doesn't turn it on, your headlights turning on changes it to night mode).

If this doesn't work, then I don't know what is going on.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: GPS "Night Mode" Gremlin

That must be what happened. I vaguely remember adjusting my interior lights a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: GPS "Night Mode" Gremlin

No problem! I am glad it was an easy fix!

With a car with this much technology, it seems almost dumbed down that the interior lights cause that. I know I was kicking myself for not realizing this until I saw a thread on it (six months after I had the car!)