Insulation falling out of Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Insulation falling out of Prius?

I found what looks like the contents of a vacuum cleaner - or might it be insulation from behind/under the dash as it curves down and terminates above the floorboards?

centrider

Old 11-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Default Re: Insulation falling out of Prius?

I guess I'll have to answer my own question, one month in service and around 5800.00 bucks later.

My Prius was invested by rodent(s). In the process, they took out the evaporative something or other, the front carpet and that insulation.

Insurance paid for all but 250.00. Fortunately, I had a 10% discount ticket from Toyota.

Than followed AC problems. The blasted thing would blast out hot air.

I think, tho, all problems have been solved.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by centrider
I guess I'll have to answer my own question, one month in service and around 5800.00 bucks later.

My Prius was infested [rjw] by rodent(s). In the process, they took out the evaporative something or other, the front carpet and that insulation.

Insurance paid for all but 250.00. Fortunately, I had a 10% discount ticket from Toyota.

Than followed AC problems. The blasted thing would blast out hot air.

I think, tho, all problems have been solved.
WOW! Any idea of how?

Rats or mice? Usually I first see their droppings before the critters.

What year?

Bob Wilson

Old 11-22-2006, 07:51 AM

Haven't a clue how it all started, tho we at the time were having a problem with what we call roof rats (probably Norwegian Greys).
I did notice droppings under the car in garage, but didn't make the connection until we got to smelling them when the AC was on.
We drove up to Canada this past summer, camping along the way. Perhaps (tho I doubt it)they got in at that time.
I think, because I was driving only 3 times a week, the buggers had an opportunity to begin building a nest. Apparently, no animals were found inside the car.
Needless to say, I've turned my garage into a death trap, spreading packets of warfarin all around/under where the car sits.

Invested in this case is used as a military term, tho extended somewhat.

Last edited by centrider; 11-22-2006 at 08:01 AM. Reason: discussion of word usage.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Consider getting a cat. I've tried to trap rodents before, and the only thing that worked was cornering them then surrounding the hole they ran into with sticky traps. Taking care of a rodent on a sticky trap is a sad occasion.

A cat on the other hand will not only catch some of the rats but the rest will smell where your cat has marked and reconsider living anywhere near your house (put the cat's litter box in the garage for best effect).

As for the rat thing, I've actually heard of this before, though not in a Prius. On one of those mechanic shows a guy brought in his car with odd problems happening and one of the 5 mechanics looking at it said, "You're going to find a rat in there." No one believed him until... they found a rat in there. They believed it got in through the outside-air ducts, but I thought they'd design smarter than that... I guess rodents really can fit themselves in anywhere.

Last edited by SoopahMan; 12-01-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:00 PM

Apparently the little buggers got in through the evaporative system and into the front passenger compartment. Rats/mice can pretty much chew through anything, and all the plastic in today's car are no barrier.

I have a cat, but I think she's too comfortable. Spreading all the warfarin from Long Beach's Health Dept around and under the car I think will work. I'm also moving the car daily, something I didn't do this spring.

Also, although State Farm paid graciously, I don't think they'll do so a second time.

Last edited by centrider; 12-01-2006 at 02:04 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 04-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Enthusiast

I own 2 Priuses, 06 and 07. Both cars have rats living in them, under the hood. I saw half eaten pods of some kind of plant and droppings. My neighbor, also a prius owner just told he has the same problem. What is it about Priuses that rats like so much, and how do I get rid of them?

Old 04-26-2008, 02:23 AM
Engineering first

Getting rid of them is a challenge. I'd probably start with traps augmented by rat poison. The problem is if one of the buggers dies inside the car, it could get unpleasant.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

There are many posts about rodent infestations in Prius over on Priuschat. Remove windshield wipers, remove plastic covering the cowl, and install metal mesh over the openings that they use to get into the air vents. There are detailed instructions posted.

Oh, and if you visited Alberta Canada, you didn't pick up the rats there. Alberta is "rat free".

Old 04-26-2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by lramik
I own 2 Priuses, 06 and 07. Both cars have rats living in them, under the hood. I saw half eaten pods of some kind of plant and droppings. My neighbor, also a prius owner just told he has the same problem. What is it about Priuses that rats like so much, and how do I get rid of them?
Well, it has been a while since my problem. In fact I forgot about it until I received this posting.

As I've detailed, my dealer took care of the car costing State Farm lots of bread.

I've spread rat poison around the car which I received from the the Long Beach, CA Health department. I could see where one of the buggers actually took the bait. I'M also letting my cat (an outdoor critter) sleep in the garage.

Finally, I got an exterminator to come in and trap them - a bunch apparently were living in the attic. The garage is attached to the house. So, who knows.

Rats and roaches prosper with us.